Names Searched Right Now:

Let's Be Real: Violet

I am due in September with #1 (waiting until birth to find out sex). I have recently really fallen in love with the name Violet. In 2012 I think it was the 83rd most common name in America and has been trending upwards since the early 2000s. I am also hearing Violet ALL over Nameberry. Some of you here don't care about popularity, but I do. I don't want to name my daughter Violet and see it turn into the next Sophia.

I guess my question is, how real is the possibility that Violet will make it into the top 10 in the next couple of years? Or is it just a little bit too "out there" to make it?

I think it is quite popular, and gaining more popularity as it goes. I don't know if it'll make it into the top 10 very soon, but it's still elegant and pretty. I think that it's more uncommon sister Viola has the same qualities, is less common, and is a better choice for someone who loves Violet but doesn't want their daughter to be one of two or three Violets at school. You may also want to look up its popularity in your state.
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

Honestly, I don't think it will make it into the top 10. Funny that you mentioned Sophia, though, because I only know two Sophia's, and one of them is 40! (The other one is 8)

Have you looked at the popularity by state on the SSA website? That helps me a lot to determine which names to avoid as far as popularity goes (this is assuming you live in the U.S.) It will also help you gauge how Violet has progressed over the past few years in your state to see if it is steadily gaining popularity or leveling off (it appears to be leveling off a bit on the national charts)
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (7), Genevieve Susan (2), and angel baby Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014).

Hoping to welcome another little one into our family in 2015.

Girls: Bridget, Elizabeth, Isadora, Felicity, Helena, Marianne, Violet, Penelope, Ophelia, Victoria
    Boys: Sebastian, Everett, Julian, Henry, Caspian, Desmond, Arthur, Nicholas, Anthony, Barnaby

I feel your pain. Violet was my top choice for a long time, but I let her go a few years ago. A friend of a friend, who WAS going to name her daughter something generic and ridiculous like "Kinzey," decided at the last minute to name her Violet instead because, "it's a pretty flower!" It was at that pont I decided Violet was lost forever. It had crossed over and wasn't coming back.... Hope that makes sense! What I'm trying to say is that Violet is much too mainstream for my taste, and I think she's a risky pick for someone who is concerned about popularity (as I am.) I don't know that she'll make top 10, but I definitely see her continuing to rise. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news!
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Susannah, Loretta, Georgia, Theodora
    Viggo, Thaddeus, Woodrow, Laszlo