Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Which is Nicest?

my boyfriend's sister is expecting a little girl and is down between these three, I'm curious to see which you like best

Kylie Alison O'Connell
    Tamsyn Paige O'Connell
    Bronte Sophia O'Connell

Bronte is pn as Bron-tee
    17. name lover. hoping to have kids of my own one day.

Little Ladies:
    Lucie Olivia|Audrey Nicole|Bryony Elise|Elsie Rose|Sienna Louise|Felicity Noelle|Clara Danielle|Evangeline Claire|Liliana Kate|Larissa Maeve|Fallon Rosalie|Tessa Violet

Little Gentlemen:
    Joshua Thomas|Cameron Patrick|Bryson Andrew|Brogan Oliver|Anthony Joel|Jamie William|Adam Michael|Landon Christopher|Dylan Robert|Charlie James

Tamsyn & Bronte are my favorites, but I think Tamsyn wins.

I like Tamsin. Tamsyn is horribly misspelled. Also, Bronte is pronounced BRON-tay, as anyone who's taken eighth grade English will know. If they want to name their daughter Bron-TEE (which I wouldn't recommend) they should spell it phonetically.

ETA: I was still wondering about Bronte, so I checked Forvo and asked my mother (she's British and an English professor). She says BRON-tay is correct, but I heard both pronunciations on Forvo. Now I'm intrigued! I would say, though, that I'm probably not the only one who's going to struggle with the pronunciation -- and even aside from that, I wouldn't suggest using Bronte. It has more than an air of pretension about it.
    Last edited by augusta_lee; May 15th, 2013 at 11:46 PM.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I like Tamsin. Tamsyn is horribly misspelled. Also, [I][name]Bronte[/I][/name] is pronounced BRON-tay, as anyone who's taken eighth grade English will know. If they want to name their daughter Bron-TEE (which I wouldn't recommend) they should spell it phonetically.

ETA: I was still wondering about Bronte, so I checked Forvo and asked my mother (she's British and an English professor). She says BRON-tay is correct, but I heard both pronunciations on Forvo. Now I'm intrigued! I would say, though, that I'm probably not the only one who's going to struggle with the pronunciation -- and even aside from that, I wouldn't suggest using Bronte. It has more than an air of pretension about it.
    I hope you didn't mean for this to come across as patronizing as it sounds.

I've not only taken eighth-grade English, but also have an honours degree in English and have visited Haworth Parsonage in Yorkshire. I have never heard Bronte pronounced anything but BRON-tee in either the UK or Australia. Clearly, the OP is going to have problems in the US if this is the pronunciation she prefers, but it is certainly not incorrect.

I don't think Bronte, pronounced BRON-tee, sounds pretentious at all. It's reasonably common in Australia, at least, and I don't think anybody particularly associates it with the authors anymore.

The Bronte sisters pronounced it Bron-tee. But I've heard people say Bron-tay before.

I dislike it in any case.

I'm rather fond of Tamsin. I have an adversion to unnecessary y's, but Tamsin Paige is very striking and by far my favourite.