Names Searched Right Now:

Raymond? - Being named after where you live...

First time I've asked a question for someone else, but here goes.

(Back story time!)
    My brother and sister-in-law are planning on trying for their first child in the near near future. My brother is a third generation (father's side) of initials (First and middle) R. L. and would like to keep that tradition going. The "L" middle name is set, as it's the same for all of them. HOWEVER, what they are struggling with is the first name. My grandfather and father have the same "R" name, but my brother has a different one. Sister-in-law doesn't want baby to have the same name as my brother, so a new "R" name is necessary.

The one that they are struggling with is Raymond. My maternal grandfather was named Raymond and it seems perfect - keep the R.L tradition of my father's side with the "R" name coming from my mother's side. HOWEVER, there are issues. It's important to note that this name is QUITE meaningful to my brother and he has struggled with it for awhile now.

1. Is Raymond WAYYYY too old man for a baby of today?
    2. They live in the town of, well, Raymond. How completely odd would it be to raise a baby Raymond in the town of Raymond?
    3. Does meaningful family name triumph over ALL issues?

Hope this all made sense and my rambling isn't too all over the place. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jess0044; May 15th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.

http://listography.com/JessicaRoseSays

Alexander Owen ~ Patrick Thomas ~ Jack ~ Mark ~ Conor ~ Nolan ~ Ian ~ Vincent ~ Caleb
    Nora ~ Claire ~ Stella ~ Madeleine ~ Ava ~ Soleil ~ Gabrielle ~ Leah

I actually like Raymond and think it would be really refreshing to meet a little Raymond today! Plus it can be shortened to Ray if they worry about kids having issues (teasing etc, though IDK how you can tease this name) with it.

But that said, if they live in a town called Raymond, I wouldn't do it. Sure, he probably won't live there forever, but whenever he writes his return address it will be awkward, and people will probably comment. Maybe just Ray?
    contemplating combos:
    August David Dodge · August Henry Dodge · Barnaby Viggo Paul · Barnaby Atlas Paul
    Leona Vesper Lynn · Vivian Lillie Revere · Florence Patricia Mae · Zelda Katherine Rose

The town thing does make the name a little awkward, but if it's that important to them, I think they should go with it. Important, meaningful names trump almost all issues (so long as they won't be harmful/embarrassing to the child). Raymond is a nice name, and he can go by Ray most of the time, which would help the town issue. They could certainly do worse :-)
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

I don't think it's too old either, but hesitate if they have long term plans to stay in Raymond.

Other R ideas (w/o knowing what your brother's R stands for):
    Redmond
    Roman
    Radcliff
    Ren
    Roland
    Rudyard
    Rafe
    Rodney
    Reid
    Rhodrick
    Randall
    Remy
    Reagan
    Raoul
    Reginald
    Radley (To Kill a Mockingbird names are popular)
    Reynolds
    Rex
    Raphael
    Rigby
    Roald
    Reuben
    Russ/Russell
    Reinaldo
    Ravi
    Ryland
    Rainier

I just realized how much I like R names. Hope this was helpful to you and the expecting parents!
    若兰

I'm just a third-culture girl with an affinity for names.

I don't think it is too weird. I'm sure there are many Raymonds who live there. But if they're hesitant, what about Ramon? That'd still somewhat honor Grandpa Raymond but its a bit fresher.