Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Bebe?

My husband really likes the name Bebe. I'm concerned with pronunciation issues, ie people saying "Bee-Bee" instead of "Bay-Bay". I've always liked the name, but completely unsure about actually naming a baby this. She will have two older brothers, Atticus and Dexter.
    Thanks!

I think the majority of people will pronounce this correctly, if not all. With brothers Atticus and Dexter, I would use Bianca nn Bebe. I think it's probably best to give her a formal name, because it will give her more options as she grows up. She may want to have a more formal name to fall back on. I think that, while it's obviously important that you like her formal name, it does not matter as much if you plan on using her nickname all the time. That being said, I think Bebe is adorable, and Bianca would fit in pretty well with her brothers because it has history and literary connections, as well as a lovely sound!
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

I don't think Bebe works as a given name, and the pronunciation bay-bay is not intuitive. I would definitely say bee-bee.

I would give her an alliterative first and middle, like Bianca Belle (just an example) or name her something with a Bi or Be beginning like Bianca, as suggested by a pp, or maybe Beatrice.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

Given that the French word 'bebe' (with acute accents on the 'e's') means 'baby', I wouldn't go there.

Honestly, I think it's a little silly once she's not a baby anymore. I'd only use it as a nickname.

I agtee, it's not a great name for an adult. I'd definitely pronounce it bee-bee (I've heard this pronunciation on the TV show Frasier. I've never actually met a Bebe).
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter