Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I'm home with my first child now for the next few months. Already I am very nervous about leaving him. I wish I had a more flexible schedule but I do want to work.
    Mom to Augustus Zain human baby ( and Harry Winston furbaby -cat).

If I was in your situation I'd work until I paid off my education--mainly because I would personally feel kinda rotten if I worked hard and paid a bunch of money for my education and then stayed home and left all of the weight for earning money to pay off that education onto my husband.
    Also, having a few years of experience in my field would make it easier to get a job after my kids were grown.

I think having an education is definitely a good thing for a SAHM. It broadens your mind and your experience, it helps you to see your own potential and what you are able to accomplish if you put your mind to it. I also think it's a good example to your children.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I agree with previous posters that education is never superfluous - it's important to your happiness and personal development, and ultimately it will make you a better parent. I also second the opinion that you never know the future - you might never have children at all, you could marry someone who may not be willing or able to support you financially, or you could use an extra salary someday.

On the other hand (and keep in mind this is coming from someone who lives in a culture where SAHMs are rare and even frowned-upon; I'm sincerly perplexed by it) I do have trouble understanding a situation where a person takes the time and effort to get an upper degree (especially in the US, where university is so expensive many people have to take loans to pay for their education) yet never puts it to use or, worse of all, expects their husband to pay off their debt. I'm not talking about staying home while the kid is small (I know for many of you maternal leave is short and kindergarten isn't an option) - but cases where an educated woman stays at home for 10 or 20 years, making it extremly difficult for her to go back to the work force after being away for so long. To me that's like buying a new house and never move there!
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Quote Originally Posted by violetink1231 View Post
    I’m really enjoying all the opinions on this thread.

My husband is currently getting his bachelors degree in Theology (online Seminary) and I have an associate’s degree in general studies (woo hoo). I have taken the last year off hoping that I could figure out what I want to do, and I still have the same answer: Writing. Which, incidentally, is one of those “Starving Artist” professions.

We have also been TTC for the last eight months (with no luck) and I have toyed with the idea of going back to school just for a change and to get my mind off of children. Personally, I love going to school (I’m weird, I know) I love learning new things and soaking up information. However, I live in a very small town and just to go to college I have to drive an hour and the colleges don’t offer Creative Writing Degrees. The main focus here is on Nursing (not my cup of tea) or Education (which I’ve considered, but I can’t talk in front of people without being in physical pain). When I was in college, I took every English, Creative Writing, and Journalism class that they offered, so I’ve exhausted my options here unless I move two to three hours away.

My mother worked from home when I was young. She designed websites and she got to take care of my brother and I, and I wouldn’t trade that for the world. My MIL was also a stay at home mom and my husband and I have always wanted our children to have that same experience. I’ve always wanted to be a mother above anything else and, if our financial situation allows me, I will stay home with my children until they are of school age.

For right now I’m pretty happy with my job as a full time Legal Assistant. And I’m still writing and reading constantly, so I’m still doing things that I love. Honestly, I think doing what you love is really the most important thing. If you love your career, stick with it. If you love staying at home with your children, do it. Whatever you love to do is your calling, and you should do it to the best of your abilities.
    Have you considered taking college classes online? That is what I am doing currently and I really enjoy it! There are lots of good options available for that kind of thing these days.
    Not expecting, just planning and building lists!

Flitting between the Heartland and the South
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine.10 View Post
    Have you considered taking college classes online? That is what I am doing currently and I really enjoy it! There are lots of good options available for that kind of thing these days.
    I have considered going back online. When I was in college, the few online classes I took I despised because Blackboard would always crash and several of my professors were terrible at communicating (that’s probably just the University itself, however, and not the rule).

I’ve been checking out different colleges and the cost of it makes me hesitant. My grades in high school allowed me to go to college for two years free, and I haven’t had to face the reality of how expensive it really is. I’m also pretty cheap, but I haven’t completely ruled it out.

I think that education is important; it helps you better yourself and it can be empowering. If you are educated and stay at home it can also help with your child’s development as you work with them and can help instill a love of learning in them from an early age. However I think it’s important to consider whether or not you want to spend a ton of cash on a degree that you may get nothing out of in return.
    TTC #1 since October 2012...
    Cecelia, Lydia, Clara
    Adric, Isaac, Silas

"I'd rather be honest than impressive."