Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Educated mothers as SAHM

These days, getting a college education is becoming more the norm, and even expected, for both males and females. The idea is to go to a good school to get a good career, etc. One would assume that a college diploma would be cause enough for a women to get a good career rather than staying home not making any money, right?

I know most people have very strong opinions about being either a stay-at-home-mom or a career mom but does it have to be so black and white? I'm in college and my major is something that would lead me to a single career, something that probably wouldn't be too difficult to find a job either. I recently started talking to my boyfriend about my desires to be a SAHM when we have children, and he wasn't sure about the idea. He thought that after all the money I spent on school, I should put my degree to good use. It wasn't about the money to him; he just didn't see the point in all that schooling if I wasn't going to use it. He sees nothing wrong with being a SAHM, since his own mother was one, but he doesn't see how I can have it both ways.

I explained that college for me was partially just for self-betterment. It was something I wanted. Along with that, if he were ever not able to take care of me, I needed a way to take care of myself. And just because I wanted to be a stay at home mom in the beginning didn't mean I would never have a career. If everything goes as planned and I have kids in my mid-twenties, I could still start a career in my mid-thirties when they are a little older. I would still be young. It's just a lot easier to be in college now before kids than regretting it and going back later.

Just curious, how does everyone else feel about these things?
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

To be honest, if you'd asked me 5 years ago, I would have said no way to being a SAHM. I paid damn good money for that degree, and I'm going to use it. Not to mention, I just finished paying it off.

Now that the possibility of having children in the near future is upon me, I think I could leave my job in a heartbeat if we could afford it. I love teaching. I love it. But I would give it up to raise my babies.
    My Zoe ... My life
    9/12/14

A SAHM (or SAHDs) probably won't be a SAHM forever. Babies grow into toddlers, who grow into children and enter school. At that point, I imagine many SAHMs would want to start working again at that point. And a degree helps with that. So I guess I feel the same as you do.

I want a career, but I also want to stay home for the first few months of my child's life.
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    To be honest, if you'd asked me 5 years ago, I would have said no way to being a SAHM. I paid damn good money for that degree, and I'm going to use it. Not to mention, I just finished paying it off.

Now that the possibility of having children in the near future is upon me, I think I could leave my job in a heartbeat if we could afford it. I love teaching. I love it. But I would give it up to raise my babies.
    Interesting to hear from this point of view. I'm going to school to be a teacher too, and it's something I am very excited about doing in the future, but I also think in a way, it would be a waste for me to pay for day care to spend the day with other people's kids instead of my own. I can make decent money as a substitute or having some sort of part-time teaching job and waitressing at night.

Like I said, I absolutely see nothing wrong with being a working mother, but I see no reason for me to have to choice between college and raising my kids myself.

Thanks for your input!
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

I'm getting my masters degree right now and I don't have kids yet. I've definitely thought about being a SAHM even though I've spent so much time and money on my education. I would love to spend the early years at home with my future little ones. However, I don't know if we would be able to do that financially. I live in a very expensive state so it would be difficult to only have one income. I don't believe that people have to necessarily use their degree. Many of my friends only found jobs in areas that had nothing to do with their education.

I do think that starting a career later would be just as difficult as going back to school later. Depending on your field, there will be technological advancements and new information/knowledge. I think it would be difficult to start a new career in most fields 10 years after finishing school. It really depends what your degree is in though.