Names Searched Right Now:

Red face Fairy Tale Retelling Superhero Novellas

More like novelettes, actually. And the superhero elements are way smaller than I planned them to be. And the fairy tales are barely recognizable as shades of what might be symbols.

That aside, the fact remains that I am writing a series of sort-of-novella sort-of-fairy-tale-retellings, set in a world with sort-of-superheroes, and my Little Red Riding Hood Villain needs a new namename. (And I also need a name for Grandma, but more on that later.) (And please, keep in mind, it is still a fairy tale. Yes, there is insta-love and inexplicable villains. Because I like those things.)

Here's the scene: Robin Boyd (a telekinetic) and her little brother Xavier were orphaned two years ago by the dreaded Wolves, who, once unmasked, were discovered to be the Cavanaugh brothers. (Their power is that they can "snap" into wolves, which is kind of uncontrolled shapeshifting that responds to their emotions). Robin has harbored bitterness toward the brothers since then, and when she hears they're escaped from prison, she starts planning revenge. Meanwhile, Dash Cavanaugh is trying to block out the awful memories from prison and his life before, all while living under the same roof with his hated brother, Jett. When Dash goes on a walk to escape, he runs into Robin, realizes he killed her parents, keeps his identity secret from her, and begins to fall in love. And then everything goes to chaos, because it's a novelette and stuff moves fast. (Totally predictable, I know). (And no, I'm not encouraging teenage girls to fall in love with their parents' murderers. That would be really stupid. Robin is stupid. I acknowledge this.)

I need a new name for Jett. I keep confusing him with other characters I've written/read, and I'm not able to focus on the plot when whenever I type 'Jett' I'm distracted by going online to find him a new name. I'm looking for something one-syllable and steady, but maybe-maybe with an undercurrent of something sinister. The original name I considered for him was Ace, and this is now what Dash calls him when he's talking about his brother problems to Robin. Nothing is sticking. I've tossed another couple names at him, but they refuse to take. Stupid stubborn villainous Jett.

Also, Robin's Grandma needs a name. Grandma took Robin and Xavier in after their parents died. Grandma can read minds. I'm planning on writing a prequel for Grandma, loosely based off The Odyssey, and how Penelope stayed faithful to Odysseus, and Odysseus didn't, what with Circe and Calypso and all, and the ramifications of this on their relationship, which is totally not a fairytale, BUT one of my favorite stories, so I don't care. (Run-on sentence alert!) Long story short, I'd love it for G-ma's nickname to be "Penny," but I don't want her name to be Penelope. It needs to be long and kind of formal-sounding, for a certain scene at the end of the LRRH novellette that I may or may not cut and haven't actually written yet.

No, I didn't spend my morning thinking about superhero genetics and the exact powers in their world. That was yesterday. *laughs nervously at self*

Thanks for sticking through my long, rambling, run-on-sentencey post. Now I shall (finally) hand things over to your Ultimate Naming Wisdom.
    Hi there. My pen name is Diana (or akky, whichever you prefer).
    I'm here to find names for characters, not babies, though I do love working with kids.
    "Sometimes all you get is twenty pages, but you've got to make the best of it"--my mother
    If you need help with fantasy names, I'm your gal!
    Current WiPs: *Sometimes Falling Stars*

Use names that represent the source of your character, the original fairytale. For instance, both of the Cavanaugh's names could mean wolf.

And you could just name her Penny, no real explanation. Depending on what you do with the Odyssy that could work for you. I'm completely brainfarting on other names though.

I personally LOVE doing this, rewriting fairytales. having the character names be representative of their original model is a great way to subtly pay tribute to and include the original story. I'm also really tired. I'll come back to this with good suggestions later, swear.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

One syllable, maybe with an undercurrent of sinister (though that may be a matter of opinion). I will attempt this, because I'm supposed to be doing schoolwork:
    Mace
    Pierce
    Steel
    Raze
    Locke
    Bron
    Rome
    Bain
    Dunn
    Neel
    Roone
    Ives
    Drake
    Rhett
    Grane
    Bram
    Claude
    Judd

That's all I got, not very much. I'm not gonna try for the grandma because I have no ideas on that front, sorry
    Last edited by beebear; May 16th, 2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: adding a name
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Girls: Seraphine, Kristabel, Magdalena, Shiloh, Opal, Jobie, Calla, Seeley, Noelle, Mara, Lucille

Boys: Robin, Gabriel, Mackenzie, Nash, Phillip, Raphael, Edmund, Abraham, Lewis, Pierce, Link

Current Crushes: Mackie and Devlin

I think that the name Jett is good, but if you need alternatives, here are a view:

Jagger
    Axle
    Diesel
    Ryker
    Maxen
    Riley
    Devlin
    Ryder
    Zane
    Steele
    Harley
    Graham
    Damien
    Lucifer
    Jasper
    Julian
    Miles
    Wyatt
    Sebastian

Grandma:

Here are the ones with 'Penny' as a potential nickname:
    Just plain 'ole Penny would do!
    Peneli (very weird name, but a good excuse for the nickname Penny)
    Pauleen
    Penelopa
    Peni (just spelled differently!)

Other names that could work:
    Cordelia
    (Sorry my mind is really dead right now...that's pretty much the only other old-lady-name I've got!!!)
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski