Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: A Cat Companion

A Cat Companion

Hey, Berries! I have a couple of questions for you today. My aunt is thinking of adopting a cat, but she doesn't know what breed would be good for both kids and dogs. Her dog's name is Lucy, and they need a name that is compatible with that. And lastly, what gender should they adopt?

If you're rescuing rather than buying a kitten you probably won't really have much choice when it comes to breeds unless you can find breed specific rescues. Pedigree cats rarely come in to rescue, at least here in the UK, as most people just have plain moggies (or domestic short/long hairs if you prefer ) and those that have forked out for a pedigree are unlikely to give their pet up. However, some breeds which I believe are good with dogs are Maine Coons, Norwegian Forest cats, Abyssinians, British shorthairs, Birmans and Ragdolls. And I'm sure there are more.

As far as male/female goes it shouldn't matter too much if they're rescued as I would imagine they'd almost certainly be neutered anyway and that your aunt would soon do it if they weren't. I do find though that generally males tend to be more affectionate and females more independent, but obviously that would depend on the individual.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

If she decides to rescue she won't have much choice of breed or gender, as said above. Just go to the shelter, and say you want a cat, but it must be okay with dogs and kids, and the workers will be happy to show you!
    As for names-
    Girls-
    I always thought Eponine was a great cat name. Also-
    Coraline
    Elinor
    Lillie
    Gracie
    Ruby
    Annie
    Jellybean
    Keira
    Fiona
    Aster
    Joy
    Deedee
    Juniper
    Ivory
    Olive
    Quinn
    Meggie
    Whitney
    Nora
    Brooke
    Raleigh
    Vixen
    Tatiana
    Clarice
    Yumi
    Xavia
    Ursula
    Zinny
    Ivy
    Lola
    Opal
    Kyla
    Phoebe
    Jessie
    Arista
    Haven
    Scarlett
    Diana
    Gwen
    Flora

Boy-
    Quiggley
    Milo
    Wesley
    Nico
    Everett
    Beckett
    Rocco
    Victor
    Asher
    Frisco
    Cisco
    Bodhi
    Thames
    Girls Top 10:
    Sonnet, Penelope, Evangeline, Maisie, Lexington, Fable, Cricket, Sailor, Seraphina, Thea

Boys Top 10:
    Hendrix, Roarke, Castle, Stellan, Cohen, Maximum, Calvary, Atticus, Hawk, Canaan

Guilty Pleasure-
    Boy: Kohl, Falcon, Myles, Flynnigan, Brave
    Girl: Tigerlily, Larkspur, Tinleigh, Emerson, Maddox

teenberry, equestrian, second youngest of 9 girls
    FurMommy to Bleu the yorkie!