Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I *love* Soren. Great choice!

Dashiell is a great name. Especially given the nickname. I like Dashiell August.

But Ansel is my absolute fave. We would have named a babe that if we ever had a boy.

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

teacherma - I feel the exact same way about Stellan. I really like the name but wonder if it's too similar for brothers. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I thought of Kellan but it doesn't have the same appeal to me as Stellan. Maybe I just have a thing for those Scandinavian names... I like that they are not common. (btw - are you a teacher? I am, and I have trouble with common names as a result, too many connections to former students!)

mischa - Oscar is a great name! Is it getting popular? Would you/could you spell it Oskar to keep with the Scandinavian feel of Soren?
    I really like Jasper, and considered it last time around. I wonder how it pairs with Soren? It doesn't evoke the same feelings/images to me. I had always kind of thought of Jasper as being more old fashioned Americana (hipster) but maybe I'm totally missing it!

lilysong - I'm not Scandivnavian at all! I had the same thoughts/concerns about Dashiell. I like the name a lot on it's own but wonder about the paring with Soren. (btw - I'm a SMBC so it's all me doing the naming!)

lolo-dink - Ansel is a great name and it will remain on my short list! A name that I might need to sit with for a while and see if it starts to outweigh the others.

I periodically call down my hallway "Soren, Dash, time for dinner" or "Soren, August, time for sinner" just to try the names out loud! My son Soren (age 4) has great fun with this and is very encouraging! He prefers the name Amos which I really do like but just can't get past the rhyme with Anus... I teach high school, I hear a lot of name teasing...

Oscar was No# 177 last year in the US (that's only 2,186 boys) so unless you have a slew of little Oscar's running around your neck of the woods, I wouldn't worry about popularity too much. I prefer the "c" spelling myself to Oskar. I was going to suggest another Scandinavian name Jesper but instead went with Jasper because I thought that most people would think it was a typo (it's actually pronounced like "yesper" anyway). I think Soren and Jasper are fine together. Soren and Stellan are kind of matchy. I'm glad your son is having fun with names! Maybe he's a Nameberry in the making?
    Last edited by mischa; May 15th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I like Soren and August!

Quote Originally Posted by oneluckymama View Post
    Thanks for all of the great feedback!

teacherma - I feel the exact same way about Stellan. I really like the name but wonder if it's too similar for brothers. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I thought of Kellan but it doesn't have the same appeal to me as Stellan. Maybe I just have a thing for those Scandinavian names... I like that they are not common. (btw - are you a teacher? I am, and I have trouble with common names as a result, too many connections to former students!)
    I sub full time K-12 and teach summer school in addition to working a local community college. I have so many associations with names in general, so I do find myself seeking out uncommon ones. I still like Stellan with Soren, but I don't know how it would play out in day-to-day life. Some other thoughts for your consideration (I do like Dashiell and August with Soren though):

Anders
    Andreas
    Ari (a bit minimalistic, but a nice multicultural name with Scandinavian connections)
    Anton
    Edvard
    Henrik
    Henning (diminutive of Henrik, used as a given name in Sweden, very popular there)
    Johan
    Karl
    Kasper (a Scandinavian form of Jasper) / Casper --- maybe still a little too Friendly Ghost for some people, but I think it could be a nice alternative to Jasper
    Konrad
    Leif
    Linus
    Martin
    Matthias
    Nils
    Rasmus (despite being a band name, this name comes from some Swedish fairy tales)
    Rune
    Ulrik
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell