Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

What type of neighborhood do you live in and what names are popular there

I live in The USA in a south eastern state. I live in a small town of about 500 people right outside of a city with about 30,000 people. It's more a suburban area and I would say most fall under middle class...

Names common here.

Jackson
    Aiden
    Hayden
    Brayden
    Braxton
    Bentley
    Brantley
    Waylon
    Alexander
    Hunter
    Bryar

Anna
    Shelby
    Allie
    Rowan
    Sophia
    Jasmine
    Alexis
    Autumn
    Chloe
    McKenna
    Braelyn
    Bryar

There are a lot of Bryars and hunters of both sexes here.

I'm not a fan of these types of names so the ones I like lucky for me are less common here.

Like Ivy, Caroline, Eleanor, Lucy etc.
    Henry, Oliver, Sebastian, Max

Erm, I live between the suburbs and the straight-up country of Mennonite-land.

Where I live doesn't really count as the suburbs at all--it's too far away from any little town, even--but it's also not really country enough to be the boon-docks, either. But there is a fairly good-sized city within half an hour, with a heavy Latino population, which definitely affects naming trends. I grew up around Mennonites, and there's a heavy Welsh population to the south and Dutch (as in Netherlands Dutch) to the north. And heavy German everything, lol. I haven't really noticed that that's especially affected naming trends, though.

There's not a ton of kids on my street, not under the age of 10 or so, but there are a couple:

Stella
    Molly
    Andrew
    Caitlin

The only ones I'm sure about are Molly and Caitlin--I believe Andrew's the brother to Caitlin. Maybe. I live on a very long street and I'm too busy with work and job hunting to really get out much these days. :/

Erm, I honestly don't hear a ton of names a lot. Most of the kids I know are inner-city kids I know from outreach through my church, so they all have quite kre8tiv, made-up names, but the names I've heard with some frequency:

Elijah (over 20 times! It's so popular here!)
    Francisco
    Jacob

Autumn (at least 10 times!)
    Cora
    Francesca (between Francisco and Francesca, I could swear I've heard both at least 10 times in the past 2 years, if not more...)
    Natalie

I hear of a couple Isabellas, Olivias, Ethans, Masons, etc., but nothing like I hear Elijah, Jacob, Autumn, Cora, and the Franks...
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Arrow

I live in a very multi-cultural and large city in Canada.

Here we have everything, honestly. I went to school with a Shagana (Tamil Name), a Mindy, and Sally and Lily twinset. And there were many other ethnic names, and still are.

Right now, my brother has two Henry Gs, with the same last name in the same class. So they're called Henry 1 and Henry 2. My brother even has Henry G 1 saved as that in his email contacts.

I work at a daycare about an hours distance via bus further into the city. There our common repetitions are:
    Joshua - We've had four at a time in one class before, and a total of five in the daycare since I started in November 2011. Their ages range from 8-12.
    Olivia/Olivea - two, one of each spelling. One being 3, the other 9.
    Naomi - two, one being 3, the other 12.
    Michaela/Nikalya/Micayla - all over 7.
    Kayden, Ayden, Jayzen, Jayden, Jaden - Kindergarten, kindergarten, preschool, school age, school age
    Ethan - We've had two, and I've noticed the name around a lot the city for the last 5 or so years.

Those are all the duplicates I can think of right now.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

I live in a rural area in the north west of England, near the Lake District. There is low unemployment here and many people are either professionals or are involved in farming, trade, leisure or services. Rural areas in the UK tend to be quite affluent especially near national parks. Common names are given below - these are all preschool aged children:

Girls:
    Amelia
    Charlotte
    Daisy
    Edith
    Emily
    Evie/Eva
    Isabella
    Isla
    Martha
    Matilda
    Lily
    Lucy
    Tallulah

I know at least two of each of these. I hate to add Edith but since my daughter was born last June there have been two more Edith's in the neighbouring villages! Our daughter was the first though & overall I don't think it's a hugely common name in the UK. It's a very close knit community so people hear what other children are called in the area & I'm sure this influences their naming choices.

Boys:
    Albert
    Daniel
    Edward
    Freddie
    Finn
    George
    Harry
    Henry
    Jack
    Jake
    Joshua
    Matthew
    Stanley
    William
    Last edited by vega; May 15th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Daughter Edith Anna born June 2012
    Expecting another daughter July 2013

We're in the 'nappy valley'-- an affluent area of SW London where everyone comes to have kids. We know a Lottie, Poppy, Zoe, Eleanore, Alice, Coralie, Lily, and Evie. Boys we know are William, Hector, David, Benedict, Alfie, Bertie, Eben, and James.