Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Thoughts on the name Crew?

Several years ago, I saw a birth announcement card in someone's home for a baby boy (their great grandson) named Crew. At the time, I found it charming, but over the years, my love has grown and it is now my favorite, favoritest boy name.

I love that it is quirky and charming, but not totally out-there, and easy to spell and pronounce. It brings to mind Northeastern preppiness: boating and Ivy League schools and Martha's Vineyard and good manners. Not terrible associations, IMO.

It is also the ONLY name I like paired with my SOs first choice boy name, Isaac, which I otherwise cannot stand. But I love Crew Isaac, so go figure! Also hoping that if we ever have a boy, I'll be able to sway my SO with the middle name.

Anyway, what do you Berries think of Crew?

I don't like it at all. It's too wordy for me. I don't think prep when I hear crew, I think a group of men on a ship.
    gaia ● gwen ● marian ● maxima ● pearl ● philippa ● sylvie
    conrad ● desmond ● felix ● orlando ● peregrine ● robert ● winston
    ---
    arthur stellan | louisa miriam

I have the same associations with the name Crew that you do -New England preppiness. If that fits your family and lifestyle, the name works really well.

I try to look at names from the perspective of the person who will be using them all their life. I can think of reason why a boy or man would dislike the name Crew. It would be unique but not weird, there is little teasing potential, and no distasteful nicknames.
    Gwen Eleanor... Mary Josephine ... Anna Juliet ... Iris Evelyn ... Sage Catherine ** Arlo Grant ... Drew Thomas ... Eli James ... Owen Vincent... Jay Theodore

Not my favorite word name, but I've heard worse. It has a nice enough sound.

I'm not a fan. Construction comes to mind when I hear it.