Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Thoughts on the name Crew?

Several years ago, I saw a birth announcement card in someone's home for a baby boy (their great grandson) named Crew. At the time, I found it charming, but over the years, my love has grown and it is now my favorite, favoritest boy name.

I love that it is quirky and charming, but not totally out-there, and easy to spell and pronounce. It brings to mind Northeastern preppiness: boating and Ivy League schools and Martha's Vineyard and good manners. Not terrible associations, IMO.

It is also the ONLY name I like paired with my SOs first choice boy name, Isaac, which I otherwise cannot stand. But I love Crew Isaac, so go figure! Also hoping that if we ever have a boy, I'll be able to sway my SO with the middle name.

Anyway, what do you Berries think of Crew?

I don't like it at all. It's too wordy for me. I don't think prep when I hear crew, I think a group of men on a ship.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

Quote Originally Posted by philomena View Post
    I don't like it at all. It's too wordy for me. I don't think prep when I hear crew, I think a group of men on a ship.
    I think of men on a ship (a ship's crew) and preppy at the same time. A male who wears a popped collar while cleaning a ship.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I have the same associations with the name Crew that you do -New England preppiness. If that fits your family and lifestyle, the name works really well.

I try to look at names from the perspective of the person who will be using them all their life. I can think of reason why a boy or man would dislike the name Crew. It would be unique but not weird, there is little teasing potential, and no distasteful nicknames.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

Not my favorite word name, but I've heard worse. It has a nice enough sound.