Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Liesel

I don't know anyone with the name but definitely like it. I do think of Sound of Music when I hear it though.

I've loved the name Liesel for awhile now. I do have a couple problems with it, though which is probably why I won't use it in the future (and DH doesn't like it). Having a name all my life that no one can pronounce or spell, I find it difficult to put that burden on a child. Liesel would have a lot of problems with this as I don't think most people are familiar with the name, and definitely wouldn't know how to spell it. I am even not entirely sure if it's pronounced Lee-ZUL or Lee-SUL. So for those reasons I wouldn't use it, but I do LOVE the name!

It's pretty. I've always said it LEE-zuhl, but that's just how it's said in The Sound of Music. I find it hard to picture on someone, actually, but it is a pretty name. Plus, I love The Sound of Music! I watched it, like, literally every day when I was 5 or so.

My best friend had a good friend named Lieselotte, which I think is lovely, too, but I've never met a just Liesel (or even Liesl, which I've heard is the more authentically German spelling?).
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    I know someone named Liesel. She pronounces it LIE - zul. But I've always thought it was LEE-zuhl. Probably because of the Sound Of Music.
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    It's pretty. I've always said it LEE-zuhl, but that's just how it's said in The Sound of Music. I find it hard to picture on someone, actually, but it is a pretty name. Plus, I love The Sound of Music! I watched it, like, literally every day when I was 5 or so.

My best friend had a good friend named Lieselotte, which I think is lovely, too, but I've never met a just Liesel (or even Liesl, which I've heard is the more authentically German spelling?).
    I do know of the name Lieselotte, which is lovely, but it's a bit too complex for my liking. Perhaps as a middle though...
    As for the spelling of Liesel/Liesl, I first saw the Liesel spelling, and then later learned of Liesl due to the movie.
    Liesel therefore seems "right" to me, and more complete looking with the second e. Liesl is probably more authentic, but the -sl trips me up all the time.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto