Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post

Elena is a classic name in Spanish, and it is pronounced eh-LAY-na.
    Elena is NOT pronounced eh-lay-na in Spanish. The Spanish "e" makes an "eh" sound like the "e" in elephant. This pronunciation is like the link below. Click on the first "Elena"

http://www.forvo.com/search/Elena/es/

Sorry, I realize I sound a bit harsh, but the "e" making an "ay" sound in Spanish is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine. I'm really not trying to be mean.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

@Dindlee- I realize this, but "lay" is the closest approximation to the Spanish "e" that I could come up with. There really isn't an English equivalent, because the sound isn't quite "eh" either, and certainly not Ellen-uh. I've had trouble explaining it in the past- perhaps you have a better way to write it out or explain the sound.

That said, I stand behind my point- more people in my area are familiar with the Spanish pronunciation and I have far more often heard the accented version of that than Ellen-uh.

EDIT: just realized the "elephant" thing- I think in my accent, that trick doesn't work, but I can see how it would. Thanks!
    Last edited by daisy451; May 15th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyninja143 View Post
    With my accent I have trouble saying elle-en-nah it seems really forced. I'm much more into A-Lay-Nah or E-lay-nah.
    This is the same with me.

@daisy451- sorry. I spend all day teaching kids to speak Spanish... Sometimes it crosses over into my non-professional life. Elephant, egg, enter... That short e sound is the closest approximation to the Spanish e.

Sorry east93 didn't mean to take over your thread. My own name seems pretty straight forward, and I still have to spell it/ correct it for people. I think that these days, with all the kre8tiv spellings out there, correcting people on spelling and pronunciation is going to become unavoidable. Elena is a beautiful name no matter how you say it.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

I would say Eh-lay-nuh unless instructed otherwise. I know the other pronunciations are legitimate but I have never encountered them IRL. So I would always say Eh-Lay-nuh first.

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names