Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    Just to clarify... this http://www.forvo.com/search/Elena/es/ is how you say Elena in Spanish. The stress is on the second syllable.

Also wanted to say... it's a beautiful name no matter how you say it.

EDIT: Click on the first "Elena" for the pronunciation I meant.
    Oh thanks for that. I realised that the pronunciation I'd had in mind was closer to the Italian one than the Spanish.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

I have only known Elena's who pronounced their name "Eh-LAY-nuh"/"El-LAY-nuh." So that's how I'd pronounce it.

Interestingly, now that I think of it, I would pronounce Helena "HEL-en-uh" to rhyme with "ELLE-en-uh" most of the time (unless corrected). But yeah, I would say Eh-LAY-nuh.

Quote Originally Posted by ellenelle View Post
    I have only known Elena's who pronounced their name "Eh-LAY-nuh"/"El-LAY-nuh." So that's how I'd pronounce it.

Interestingly, now that I think of it, I would pronounce Helena "HEL-en-uh" to rhyme with "ELLE-en-uh" most of the time (unless corrected). But yeah, I would say Eh-LAY-nuh.
    Same! Ive only ever known eh-LAY-nuh's, but I do like the sound of EH-len-uh better. As far as Helena, I'm never sure how it's pronounced! Is it HEL-en-uh or heh-LAY-nuh??

I guess it's the difference between adding an a to the end of Helen or an h to the front of Elena (prn el-LAY-nuh). I guess it's the first.
    Last edited by emsky; May 15th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Cora Madeleine | Gwyneth Rosalie | Hazel Matilda | Margot Eliza | Sylvie Miranda | Vivienne Esme
    Archer Daniel | Emmett Sebastian | Ezra Donovan | Jasper Felix | Leo Vincent | Rhys Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    Same as OP. Saying Elena with the "ay" sound is terrible and wrong.
    It's not terrible and wrong, it's a language that you don't happen to speak.

Elena is a classic name in Spanish, and it is pronounced eh-LAY-na. In Italian, it is EH-lay-na, and in Portuguese it is ee-LAY-na.
    I pronounce it the Spanish way unless told otherwise, and most people in my area do as well (it's not uncommon here, pronounced eh-LAY-na.) I always thought other ways are mispronunciations.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    It's not terrible and wrong, it's a language that you don't happen to speak.

Elena is a classic name in Spanish, and it is pronounced eh-LAY-na. In Italian, it is EH-lay-na, and in Portuguese it is ee-LAY-na.
    I pronounce it the Spanish way unless told otherwise, and most people in my area do as well (it's not uncommon here, pronounced eh-LAY-na.) I always thought other ways are mispronunciations.
    No, in Portuguese and in Spanish is not LAY, for sure.
    http://pt.forvo.com/search/elena/pt/