Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I've only ever met people named Elena who said el-en-uh, that's how I'd say it.

Elena is lovely! Honestly, when I've heard it spoken with any accent other than English, it's never Ellen-ah OR eh-LAY-nah, although if an American's saying it I much prefer eh-LAY-nah for the Elena spelling. I've been minorly crushing on how they say Elinor Dashwood's name on the BBC miniseries, though--I'm a bit minorly obsessed with Eleanor said like 'eh-leh-nah' but I think it'd be pretty futile in trying to enforce it here in America (and that's why they call it a GP!).

With the Elena spelling, though, I definitely prefer eh-LAY-nah.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Quote Originally Posted by lolo_dink View Post
    I agree that the proper *Spanish* pronunciation Is Ellen-ah, but you won't find many Americans who don't speak Spanish pronouncing it that way, IMO, and you'll always be fighting it.

My dd is Elena and I don't have a problem with either pronunciation. The only thing that bothers me is when people pronounce it with a long E sound or an exaggerated "Uh" at the beginning rather than the lovely Eh that is proper.
    I don't live in America, so I'm hoping the pronunciation establishment would be easier, but due to the popular The Vampire Diaries show, it might still be a challenge. :/
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

I am in Canada and I also say ELLE-eh-na, similar to the Spanish pronunciation. I went to school with an Elena and that's how she said her name. I don't remember her having any hassles or being called uh-LAY-na.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Just to clarify... this http://www.forvo.com/search/Elena/es/ is how you say Elena in Spanish. The stress is on the second syllable.

Also wanted to say... it's a beautiful name no matter how you say it.

EDIT: Click on the first "Elena" for the pronunciation I meant.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014