Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name/Nickname Struggles

I am posting on behalf of my sister, who is expecting her second son in September.

She and her husband have tentatively decided on the name Sullivan (perhaps Sullivan Edward) but really like the nickname Saul. Is this usable?

We reason that Saul for Sullivan is every bit as sense-ical as than the commonly-used Jerry for Gerald, but there does seem to be an issue with pronunciation: Saul (sounding like "all") versus Sull (sounding like "null"). What do you think?

Is the spelling Saulivan ridiculous? Any other cute suggestions for how she could get to nn Saul?

Her first son does have a fairly traditional name, John Kelley. They most commonly use the double name, though he's also referred to as J.K. and John. Sullivan is, then, in line with Kelley's Irish tradition.

Thanks!

I think that it's absolutely fine to use the nn Saul with the name Sullivan. Many people who I know with nn have nothing to do with their name and it's close enough. They should still spell it Sullivan as Saulivan does look strange and is a creative spelling, which is something I can't stand.

I agree with jtucker, although she would need to be prepared for most to assume a nn of Sull or Sully which is usual for the name Sullivan (from my experience anyway)

Honestly, I think it's ridiculous. Saul and Sullivan are completely different names. Saulivan is just silly.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    Honestly, I think it's ridiculous. Saul and Sullivan are completely different names. Saulivan is just silly.
    My thoughts as well.

Gerald to Jerry is not the same thing since the nickname Jerry has the same first syllable sound as Gerald.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly