Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elke

Elke

Hullo Berries

I've fallen for the name Elke as an option for our soon to be here baby. From my research, I understand that it's typically pronounced El-kah, but many also go for El-key, as it reads. I'm leaning towards El-kah, I think it wears better into adulthood.

I'm actually after advice/suggestions on two things. Firstly, do any of you Berries have a brainwave for a suitable middle name. I'd like something a little more popular as a middle name, and am leaning towards one syllable, something like Elke Rose or Elke Lou (happy to compromise for the right name), both May/Mae and Jane are out due to close relatives use.

Secondly, I've read that the name actually has a few different origins, both Dutch but also Hebrew; I'm interested to see what the correct way to pronounce it in the hebrew is, particularly as our first sons name is a Hebrew name.

TIA

I would assume Elke/Elka is the female form of Elkanah. Unless we had an expert on names in Hebrew (any Israelis out there?) I would pronounce it El-Kah. I have heard it as a Yiddish name pronounced El-kah and spelled Elka in English.

I met a german girl called Elke a couple of years ago, and i loved it on her! She was blonde and very fresh-faced so i have a very Germanic/Scandinavian image of the name. She said it like El-Keh. It also makes me think of the singer Elkie Brooks and there was a German actress/pin-up called Elke Sommers. I think its a lovely name.

I reckon something soft in the middle would be nice. I like Elke Rose or maybe Elke Claire, Elke Grace or Elke Isobel.
    Last edited by freya55; May 10th, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
    ~ Mama to Juniper Elise and Arlo Edward James ~

Susannah - Celeste- Maybelle - Pearl - Callie - Eulalie - Clementine
    Another daughter: Callie Susannah Pearl

Asa - Tate - Rudy - Otis - Henry - Miles - Josiah
    Another son: Tate Henry Miles

I really like Elke/Elka. I pronounce them the same. I like Elka a bit better because there is no confusion. I think Elke Rose sounds nice. I don't care for Lou. other thoughts- Elke Rae, Elke Bryn, Elke Ruth, Elke Claire, Elke Brie/Bree

I know an Elke! It is a very unusual choice in Canada.
    Actually it is said and spelled Elky. The girl I know, not the name in general
    I have never heard it said as Elka.
    Last edited by niteowl13; May 10th, 2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarifying