Names Searched Right Now:
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    I want to second augusta_lee on the Baroque Cycle, and anything else by Neil Stephenson (though it sounds very far from your preferred genres-- lots of high-level math, physics, comp sci and codebreaking but *amazing* storytelling).

Also, more up your alley, you might like an Irish writer named Tana French. She writes very detailed psychological crime thrillers, always from the view of a cop, and with a shifting but related first-person narrator each book. She was a method actress beforehand and her personality portraits and dialogue absolutely can't be beat, seriously some of the best I've ever read in high literature or low. My favorite is 'the Likeness.'

oh, and thanks for the recommendation of 'Every Man Dies Alone.' Quite liked it.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

I'll just chime in very late if that's okay.

I want to second about 50% of previous suggestions but that would take too long, so: Picture of Dorian Gray, Paradise Lost, Anna Karenina, A Great and Terrible Beauty and Cloud Atlas. I'm a bit infatuated with Cloud Atlas--it's just so fascinating. It's really more of a collection of related short stories than a novel, and the author shifts tones/genres/voices like a chameleon.

Other stuff:

Anything by Margaret Atwood, especially Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood.
    Oscar Wilde's more obscure works. I love Vera, or the Nihilists, Salome, and Duchess of Padua.
    Promise Not to Tell by Jennifer McMahon
    The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (has anyone suggested that yet?)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    The Barnum Museum by Steven Millhauser (probably my favorite book ever; a collection of eerily beautiful short stories, mostly magical realism, the author won a Pulitzer in '97 so obviously it's good writing)

YA:
    The Monstrumologist series by Rick Yancey (Absolutely brilliant. Really transcends the YA category, if you read one thing from this list, read these)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Actually anything by Neal Shusterman. His writing is nothing to write home about (ha) but his plots are great.
    Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. It wasn't good, exactly, but the premise was really fascinating and it would make a fantastic movie.
    Downburst by Katie Robison
    The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Fionnuala Iphigenia Coraline
    Emmett Kieran August Malcolm Zephyr

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon is amazing. It's written from the perspective of an autistic teen and it's such a good read. It really pulls you in and you could finish it in about a day.
    I also love The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Despite being about the Vietnam War, the prose in this book is beautiful. This is probably my favorite book. O'Brien's In the Lake in the Woods is another well-written but somewhat disturbing novel about a veteran whose wife goes missing.
    I think the other books I would recommend have already been mentioned. I second World War Z- despite being about zombies the amount of research the author did is ridiculous. I've re-read that book maybe three times. It's written as if survivors of the zombie apocalypse are being interviewed for their stories, so if a particular story doesn't catch your interest there are others that might (although it's good to read all of them since later interviews reference or clarify information said in previous ones).
    I had to read Jane Eyre for school last summer and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.
    Life of Pi is also great if you haven't read it yet.

Oh, how could I forget- any of Gillian Flynn's books. She writes amazing, slightly-disturbing mystery/thriller novels. I started Dark Places (which is my favorite) when I was on a trip to NYC, and every free moment I had, whether I was on the subway or waiting in line, I would take it out and keep reading. Her newest book, Gone Girl, came out when I was on a trip to the beach and the exact same thing happened. Her books just pull you in, and I can't recommend them highly enough. Her first book, which is also great but not my favorite (although I think it's my mom's favorite), is called Sharp Objects.

This has been an awesome, helpful thread. Now I just need to hit the library and figure out where to start...
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline