Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Okay, I just put in an order for The Eyre Affair: A Thursday Next Novel, and The One-Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. Thanks ladies, this thread rocks! Super thanks to southern.maple who started it.

And re: The Belgariad, yeah, can't say enough about it, especially for younger readers, although I think older readers could be charmed by it as well. Between that, Narnia and Prydain, my brother and I traveled to some pretty far out places.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

*avid devourer of YA and Christian lit elbows her way into the thread, rudely*

Yes: I do read almost entirely Young Adult and/or Christian books. Because I do. And I feel the need to mention (while hopefully avoiding the entirely possible up-too-late-on-the-internet rudeness) that there is no such thing as "just YA" or "YA, but..." or "technically YA." (And not all YA is zombies/dystopia/vampires/angst either, nor is all Christian fic preachy, but I'm not here to go on a rampage.)

Now that that's out of the way, some top-of-the-head recommendations:
    ~I'm seconding or thirding or fourthing The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak. It's set during WWII/The Holocaust, so it's not exactly light summer reading--about as far as you can get from it, actually--but it's achingly beautiful. The writing is just...stellar. And Rudy is one of THE best fictional guys around. YA or Adult lit. And this book's earned a coveted position on the list of books that made me cry, which is only two books long. (In the vein of WWII/Holocaust books, I've also heard great things about Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys and Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, but I've never read either).
    ~The other book on the made-me-cry list is Chasing Jupiter, by Rachel Coker. It's a teen book by a teen author, and it's also unflinchingly Christian, so go into it knowing that. It's historical fiction set in Georgia during the 1960's (I think, my memory's a little fuzzy and I'm feeling too lazy to go check for sure), but it's not issue-y. It's about family, and a little bit of romance, and a whole lot of bittersweet, and some happily-ever-after. It is definitely a summer read.
    ~If you don't mind some blatant Christian themes and some not-exactly-stellar fantasy naming, then I heartily recommend Karen Hancock's Legends of the Guardian King tetralogy, the first book of which is The Light of Eidon. (Seriously, ignore the names, the names of the characters and the names of the books themselves). Fairly standard high fantasy fare, and it has some marvelously deep characters who only get better as the series goes on.
    ~Oh, and I dare not forget The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta: Finnikin of the Rock, Froi of the Exiles, and Quintana of Charyn. It's technically a trilogy, though I like to think of it more as a stand-alone novel followed by a duology, with the duology being incomplete unless you read the stand-alone first. It's YA high fantasy (this one completely without a Christian slant) with amazingly rich characters and WRITING. And the names are pretty awesome, too. I've also heard amazing things about Jellicoe Road by the same author--crazy-complex YA contemp--but I myself have been unable to get past the first fifty pages.
    ~It's a little Hunger-Games-y, but I can't let the opportunity go by without recommending Defiance by CJ Redwine. It's action-packed, but the action is balanced, appropriate for the novel, and--most important--it is necessary for the character growth. It's very much aimed toward a teen audience, but that doesn't mean it will subtract from adults' enjoyment of the book. It's complex and achy and tragic and joyful and the characters practically jump off the page.
    ~And--last one, I promise--there's The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, by James A Owen, the first book of which is titled Here, There Be Dragons. To be perfectly honest, I'm unclear on whether this one is 'officially' YA or not--I've had it recommended to me by adults and teens, the main characters are adults, it was in the teen's section at the library...but my confusion is irrelevant to the total win that makes up these books. It's kind of high-fantasy, kind of sci-fi, kind of historical fiction, kind of 'I don't care what genre I am because I am awesome anyway.' In one sentence, it is, "There is an atlas of imaginary worlds which is kept by famous people throughout the years, and now the not-so-imaginary worlds it maps are in danger," but it is so much more than that. I still get teary whenever I think of the characters. And it's a seven-book series, the last book of which is coming out this November, so it would make a good wrap-up to the summer.

Thanks for suffering through my long list of books, and please don't bite me for biting you guys regarding YA lit.

And feel free to drop by the Writers' Corner forum: I'm sure folks there will give you excellent recommendations, too. We don't bite. (I mean, except for the vampires...)

*sidles out of conversation with sideways glance at list, waving hesitant good-bye*
    Last edited by akky3210; May 29th, 2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: I posted before I proofread. Big oops. Mistakes fixed.
    Hi there. My pen name is Diana (or akky, whichever you prefer).
    I'm here to find names for characters, not babies, though I do love working with kids.
    "Sometimes all you get is twenty pages, but you've got to make the best of it"--my mother
    If you need help with fantasy names, I'm your gal!
    Current WiPs: *Sometimes Falling Stars*

I'm amazed that no one has suggested this, considering the way you described your tastes, but I'm about 150 pages into Les Miserables, and it is phenomenal. Definitely a book to take up most of your summer, but it is a masterpiece. A huge, intricate, drawn out masterpiece. I'd compare it to Atlas Shrugged in terms of length and plot structure (they are complete opposites in regards to theme), but Victor Hugo spends an immense amount of time on his characters. He really gets into the human psyche, so you come to understand his characters perfectly; this doesn't normally happen. After getting used to the translated language (which I tend to have difficulties with) it's beautifully written.

I don't know if you're into Sci-Fi, but two of the BEST books I've ever read are Dune, by Frank Herbert, and Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. I've read Dune three times since the sixth grade and each time I notice and pick up on more things. It is fantastic and complex and thoroughly entertaining. Ender's Game is one of the few books that has made me cry, and at some point here I need to reread that one as well.

I'm really glad other people have read The Belgariad. Hands down, it is the best fantasy series I've ever read. Another one that I've read three times and still adored. There are not enough good things I can say about this series, the sequel series, and the companion books. Too much awesome to be contained. Just read them.

An odd little series I discovered in middle school was The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. If you like semi-post-apocalyptic sci-fi, this is a great read. I need to go back and read them again, actually...
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

A few of my personal favorites:

Don Quixote
    The Persian Boy
    Memoirs of Hadrian
    The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat-Rack
    Times Square Red, Times Square Blue (WARNING: this one has a lot of explicit sex)
    The Homeward Bounders
    Her Smoke Rose Up Forever
    Speak, Memory
    Canterbury Tales
    The Baroque Cycle
    Sourcery
    The Inimitable Jeeves
    A People's History of the United States

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Oh my gosh, how could I forget!

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, by Gregory Maguire! I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about this book and the musical based on it. The heroine is so poignant and stunning, the Oz he envisions so complex and interesting... This book threw me into obsessive chaos for a good six months. It changed my life, because I related so well to Elphaba, and her integrity struck me to the core. A truly phenomenal work.

The book will touch your soul, and the musical will touch your heart. I saw it live in Seattle last November and could hardly sleep that night, it was so amazing.

Just... everything. If you do nothing else this Summer, read this book. It is, thus far, my all-time favorite.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.