Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Working on my summer reading list - any suggestions?

I know this is really off topic, but I'm hoping you all can give me some suggestions. What are your favorite books that you would recommend to everyone?

I love fantasy, historical fiction, and classic literature, but I'm open to pretty much anything. Please no vampires or Hunger Games type books though.
    Emily, 18, Southeastern US.
    College student and avid name nerd.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Right now I'm reading The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian. It's a historical fiction from the Armenian Genocide.

It has mixed reviews on Goodreads, but I'm getting into it.

I don't know if you've tried Kate Morton's books, but some are good. I really liked her book The Secret Keeper.
    The Future Littles:
    Delaney Lynne, Mallory June, Bridget Victoria, Rachel MarloweBrandon Erich, Daniel Kent, Nolan ____

openculture.com has free ebooks and audiobooks, mostly classics. If you're on a budget, it's fantastic because you get dozens of great options and don't have to spend one cent!
    If you're interested in more modern reads, I just finished Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker and I loved it. I also just read Drown, Junot Diaz' collection of short stories, which is a bit more of a downer but still quite good. And then there's The Book Theif by Markus Zusak, which is I think technically YA, but it's very interesting and no vampire pseudo-love stories. I don't know if you've read any Yann Martel, but if not I'd recommend Beatrice and Virgil, which I actually prefer to the better-known Life of Pi.

Hope that helps!

I am making my way through the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett - fantasy that is amazing well-writenn while not taking itself very seriously. Great books.

I would also recommend if you haven't read yet:

Anything by Neil Gaiman: American gods, anansi boys, good omens (cowritten with terry pratchett), neverwhere,short stories, etc...

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

The Ender's Game Series by Orson Scott Card

His Dark materials trilogy by philip pullman
    Baby boy due October 2014! Current tentative name:

Sequoia Orion

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury is one of my all time favorite "summer" books! Such a beautiful book.