Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy- A great classic!

The Help by Kathryn Stockett- If you haven't read this, you must! It's historical fiction, and absolutely divine.

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool- Technically, this book is Young Adult, but I think it can be appreciated by all ages. And there are some great names!

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant- The story of Dinah, from the Bible.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson- This book is absolutely hilarious, and although it's very science-y and math-y, it's still an excellent read.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- Another Young Adult book, but it's lovely. And a tear-jerker.

Run by Ann Patchett- This one is great. Any of Ann Patchett's other books are worth reading as well.

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer- One of my favorite books!

Happy Reading!
    Last edited by aster; May 14th, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Edward, Fitzwilliam, George, Louis, Peter

Blythe, Hazel, Phoebe, Sybil, Theodora

Oh oh a book thread! Not sure how old you are, my book taste might be a little immature, but I tried to choose my favorites that will work for any age.

Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn
    The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
    The Book Thief by Martin Zusak
    The Lost Crown by Sarah Miller
    Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (even if you've already seen the movie, the book is worth it!)
    Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah
    Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah

Well, you probably already have too many books to handle, but here's another. If you've ever read Northanger Abbey (and seeing as you love historical fiction/classics I'm assuming you have) you know that book Catherine Morland is always reading - The Mysteries of Udolpho? Well, that's a real book by Ann Radcliffe, and I highly recommend it. It's super long, so it makes for good summer reading. It is rather...verbose (written in 1794, of course it's verbose) and I think it was better in hindsight. It's medieval castles, evil uncles, hidden-stuff-in-the-basement type creepy. I loved it since it wasn't I-can't-sleep-at-night scary but it was enough to engage the reader, despite its length.
    Proud author of Kissimmee, Orlando, Mary, Adam, Mississippi, Micah, Georgette, Evelyn, Diane, Millicent, Maybeline, Prudence and so many many more

@cupcakelove, I adore A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Joy in the Morning. I read them as a teenager and then just reread them last summer and they were even better than I remembered.

Another slightly offbeat suggestion--What Einstein Told His Cook by Robert Wolke. It's all fascinating science-meets-food explanations. Interesting stuff.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I only have a few to add.

My most beloved book, Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada is a seriously great read.

Also, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson is a suspenseful thriller. However, I recommend this book with slight hesitation. There are some seriously messed up situations that occur and depending on your age it might very well be inappropriate. The original Swedish title was Men Who Hate Women which is a far more accurate description of what the story is truly about. The writing isn't spectacular but the story and message behind it is.

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff by Christopher Moore is wonderful as well. Funny and touching.

& for something really light and fun Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison is a good option.
    Last edited by bre; May 16th, 2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Spacing...