Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Firstly, @ottilie, I can't believe a real person exists named Martyn Crucefix, and that he's not a darkling underlord in some teen gothic thriller.

Seconding anything written by Neil Gaiman-- Good Omens is one of my favorite books ever, in that's it's a cracking good story that manages to delve into the occasional Big Idea.

- Umberto Eco, In the Name of the Rose
    - PG Wodehouse (anything in the Jeeves & Wooster or Blandings Castle series)
    - Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible
    - Eric Newby, A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush (a hilariously self-deprecating nonfiction adventure story)
    - Andrew Soloman, Far From the Tree (nonfiction, fascinating account of how parents with special children-- from the profoundly developmentally delayed to geniuses-- deal with their genetic divergence)
    - anything by Annie Proulx, from The Shipping News to her Wyoming short stories
    - Peter Mathiessen, the Snow Leopard. An absolute classic for nature writing-- read this if you've ever wanted to pin down your sense of the sublime

- not yet read but high on the list: Rachel Kushner "the Flamethrowers." Just came out and regaled as the best novel of the decade
    Last edited by blade; May 14th, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

If you love historical fiction, try any of Anne Easter Smith's books, all set in the 1400s and 1500s in England.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Caroline Pearl & Patrick Elliot, Catherine Maeve & Luke Donovan,
    Claire Elizabeth & Liam David, Grace Annabel & Jack Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Firstly, @ottilie, I can't believe a real person exists named Martyn Crucefix, and that he's not a darkling underlord in some teen gothic thriller.
    I know, right? Coolest name ever!

I actually bought The Flamethrowers on Sunday. It's not arrived yet, but it looks like a good book.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Ottilie - So cool you have a grad degree in classics....I hope you are putting it to much better use than I am my undergrad (now getting my master's in business, eegads!) I never learned italian sadly, but Dante's italian is pretty close to latin so luckily I got a lot from it.

I did my undergrad thesis on Sophocles' Antigone, which I also recommend reading, southern.maple! All the greek dramas are wonderful.
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

I love fantasy and historical fiction, here is a few of my favorites:

Belle by Lesley Pearse
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
    The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne
    Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
    Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier
    Bridge of Birds: A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart
    The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel by Maureen Lindley
    Poison Study by Maria V Snyder
    Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey