Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    A few suggestions: Jeffrey Eugenides--Middlesex, Jeanette Winterson---The Passion & Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit (seconding @ottilie, anything by Winterson is amazing), Marisa de los Santos--Love Walked In, Belong to Me (light quick reads, but beautiful)

Classics....Kate Chopin--The Awakening, Virginia Woolf--To The Lighthouse, F. Scott Fitzgerald--The Beautiful and Damned, The Great Gatsby, William Faulkner--The Sound and the Fury, Willa Cather--My Antonia, Truman Capote--Breakfast at Tiffanys

I love short stories and essays in the summer, easy to pick up and put down on the beach. Love anything by David Sedaris or Sloane Crosley

And if you like historical fiction and fantasy...you might like Time's Arrow by Martin Amis...ridiculously powerful read.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

Ottilie, I do love the Fagles, but if you are a sucker for a more direct translation Latimer is the way to go! (my undergrad degree is in classics so I always prefer a more word-for-word translation, but the Fagles is so pretty). I also love Dante's Inferno (read a side-by-side italian-english translation and prepare to drool at the beauty of the language)

Virgil's Georgics are also nice, and Hesiod's Theogeny is entertaining and has tons of amazing name references!

On the subject of epic poetry, I would also recommend the Ramayana, Mabinogion, the Poetic Edda, the Kalevala, the Tain, and the Saga of the Volsungs
    Current Favorite Names for Little Beastie due October 2014:

Sequoia Gideon
    Cytheria Dwyn

lineska - I LOVED middlesex. omg, so good.
    Current Favorite Names for Little Beastie due October 2014:

Sequoia Gideon
    Cytheria Dwyn

Quote Originally Posted by moonkai View Post
    Ottilie, I do love the Fagles, but if you are a sucker for a more direct translation Latimer is the way to go! (my undergrad degree is in classics so I always prefer a more word-for-word translation, but the Fagles is so pretty). I also love Dante's Inferno (read a side-by-side italian-english translation and prepare to drool at the beauty of the language)
    I've got a master degree in classics! I've read the Latimer one, but I prefer Fitz and Fagles by a mile. Much more poetic. The Latimer one (although more accurate) lacks the beauty of Fagles' translation. Poetry should be sheer beauty. (So while we're at it, if anyone's planning on reading Rilke's Sonnets to Orpheus, choose the gorgeous translation by Martyn Crucefix.) I speak Italian, so I've been able to read The Divine Comedy in Italian... it's gorgeous.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

You guys are fantastic, thanks! Now to start looking these books up...
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Dean ◊ Micah ◊ Gideon ◊ Tobias ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Edith ◊ Georgia ◊ Gwen ◊ Catherine ◊ Lydia ◊ Phoebe