Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lovely or Just Plain Wierd...

Hello all!

Lately I have been loving some very unusual and uncommon names. I feel as though I may be taking naming too far and while my mother and best friend think I am insane, I quite like the sound of them! Mind you, I will most likely be raising my children in England, so the names need to sound fairly normal there. Let me know what you think!

Beatrix
    Felicity
    Lavender
    Mabel
    Ottilie
    Primrose

Alistair
    Hugo
    Jasper
    Niall
    Phineas
    Rogue

I'm American, but I like them all except Niall and Primrose!
    Current Favorite Names for Little Beastie due October 2014:

Sequoia Gideon
    Cytheria Dwyn

I'm not from the UK, so I cannot comment as to the weirdness of these names there, but here are my thoughts for what they are worth:

Beatrix -- This name has never appealed to me, but I do appreciate its qualities. If you want to make it a little more normal, Beatrice is nice too.
    Felicity -- I think this is a lovely, happy, and light-sounding name! I am especially partial to the nn Tilly.
    Lavender -- This might be a little out-there. It is a very peaceful, pretty name though!
    Mabel -- I think Mabel is mild enough to get away with being quirky.
    Ottilie -- Pretty, but not my style.
    Primrose -- Sounds too frilly and odd for me.

Alistair -- This seems very quintessentially British to me, so I think I would fit in well but I guess I have no idea.
    Hugo -- Reminds me of Victor Hugo which I think is a great connection! If he finds his name a little too odd, he could always go by Hugh.
    Jasper -- A little too weird for me.
    Niall -- Is a 1D member named this? If so, it should fit right in but might become too trendy for your taste.
    Phineas -- I would say it is too out-there, but Finn is very up-and-coming here, so a boy may be able to pull this name off nicely.
    Rogue -- I like word names, but this one does not have a great connotation.

I hope that helps!
    Not expecting, just planning and building lists!

Most of those sound perfectly usable to me. Beatrix and Felicity are my favourites (although if you went with Beatrice, that would be the clear winner for me). I like Jasper best of your boys' names, I think.

I'm in England, none of these would be considered weird.

Beatrix - tons of little Bea's around, Beatrix is less common than Beatrice but combined it would rank just inside the top 100. I think it's very pretty.
    Felicity - familiar, but not popular. It's just inside the top 200. Lovely and joyous name.
    Lavender - was not ranked in 2011, but people are familiar with it because of Harry Potter, and the flower obviously. I like it, but I think of bath products before I think of a name with this one.
    Mabel - never met one, but it was ranked at #360 in 2011. I'm not a fan.
    Ottilie - it was ranked at #778, 48 babies. It's my middle name, I've always thought it was pretty.
    Primrose - only given to 31 babies, most likely upper middle class/upper class ones. I think it's super pretty and makes me think of proper English gardens.

Alistair - very much a dad name, or I'm guessing a grandfather name now. I like it a lot.
    Hugo - lots of Hugo's around, ranked at #139. I love Hugo, so sweet and cute.
    Jasper - one spot ahead of Hugo. This is one of my favourites, it's a wonderful name.
    Niall - familiar to most, and is ranked just inside the top 300. I am not very fond of it.
    Phineas - 5 little ones born in 2011. I like it, it's quirky and cool.
    Rogue - Why on earth would you name you child this? This is the only one I think is too much, and in a bad way too.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014