Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Names for children not named at birth

This is kind of complicated, but here goes:

Imagine an orphanage, where children have been abandoned at birth, but they were not given names by the people that raised them or any sort of education; instead, trained to fight and be the next generation of soldiers. A few of these children get rescued - ones that are still quite young. But obviously I'm going to need to identify between the group of children (likely going to be about six of them), but I don't know how.

I could have the people that rescue them give each of them a name, but the child is unlikely to recognise their name after not having one for the rest of their life, and I can't have the child pick their own because they won't understand the concept of names.

Do I just refer to each of them by a characteristic and turn that into a sort of nickname - Ginger, Freckles for example?

I can't call them Rescued Boy 1, Rescued Girl 3 etc, but I just don't know how to term them.

And if I do go for the people rescuing them giving each one a name, what sort of names would work? Something simple that they don't know anyone else by that name? Name them after a fallen friend or family member?

It's a bit of an unconventional naming question, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. And also, if I do go with a simple name, what sort of names do you put under that category?

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George