Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: khaleesi!

David J. Peterson said that the pronunciation is Kha-lay-see
    “Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.”~ Edgar Allan Poe .

My name is Vasiliki but I prefer Bellerose . A lover of dark names , trying to be something in her life .

Persephone ~ Clytemnestra ~ Iphigeneia ~ Hades ~ Prometheus ~ Perseus .

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    It's pronounced Khal-EE-see, I don't know where you've heard that "kha-ley-see" should be the correct pronunciation, but it's not. There's no "ley" sound in the word.

I personally think it would be bizarre to name a child Khal or Khaleesi, but that might just be me who's an absolute A Song of Ice and Fire nerd. To me it would be just as obnoxious as naming your child King, Queen, Emperor, Empress, Tsar or Tsaritsa. It's a title, not a name. If you like the character, I'd suggest you to use Daenerys or Dany instead.

Can't say I'm fond of Petronilla either.
    All of this. I'm an avid ASOIAF nerd and I hate seeing babies named Khaleesi. It's just like naming your kid King or Queen. At least use Daenerys instead if you love the character.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose View Post
    David J. Peterson said that the pronunciation is Kha-lay-see
    And he is...?
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

He is game of thrones language maker (I really don't know what that means lol)
    “Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.”~ Edgar Allan Poe .

My name is Vasiliki but I prefer Bellerose . A lover of dark names , trying to be something in her life .

Persephone ~ Clytemnestra ~ Iphigeneia ~ Hades ~ Prometheus ~ Perseus .

I think it's pretty, but I wouldn't use it. I do like the pronunciation David J. Peterson intended for it to have (although, of course, Martin probably had a pronunciation in his head before that); just read the interview, must be frustrating creating a language (almost) from scratch and having others butcher it. And while I don't care that it's a fictional title (really, ladies?) I find Daenerys so much prettier and special.

Also, according to wikipedia (which I usually don't rely to much on) it's rather close to a vulgar Hindi word.
    Last edited by ottilie; May 14th, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]