Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: khaleesi!

I've actually seen a few birth announcements with Khaleesi, and in 2012 146 people named their daughter Khaleesi in the US, so you're not alone!

As a fan of the book (and of course the show) I can understand the attraction, as I love the character! Personally I prefer Daenerys though

Petronilla I'm not a fan of, it sounds like a character from a pantomime, or like one of Cinderella's stepsisters - it's a bit over the top. But that may also be because Petra is a favourite of mine, so different versions of it don't seem quite right to me.

I think thats a whole lot of name for a real person and it is rife with mispronunciation issues.
    [CENTER]
    Mommy to
    Nils David * Serafina Ann

Loves:
    Zia, Lorelei, Elowen, Vera, Adeline, Cordelia, Zorah

Judah, Peter, Fredric, Olin, Dean, Jonah

It's pronounced Khal-EE-see, I don't know where you've heard that "kha-ley-see" should be the correct pronunciation, but it's not. There's no "ley" sound in the word.

I personally think it would be bizarre to name a child Khal or Khaleesi, but that might just be me who's an absolute A Song of Ice and Fire nerd. To me it would be just as obnoxious as naming your child King, Queen, Emperor, Empress, Tsar or Tsaritsa. It's a title, not a name. If you like the character, I'd suggest you to use Daenerys or Dany instead.

Can't say I'm fond of Petronilla either.
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

It's a great name for a Siamese cat.

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    I personally think it would be bizarre to name a child Khal or Khaleesi, but that might just be me who's an absolute A Song of Ice and Fire nerd. To me it would be just as obnoxious as naming your child King, Queen, Emperor, Empress, Tsar or Tsaritsa. It's a title, not a name. If you like the character, I'd suggest you to use Daenerys or Dany instead.
    This is what I think too.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!