Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: khaleesi!

David J. Peterson said that the pronunciation is Kha-lay-see
    Vasiliki ,
    Maeve ~ Persephone ~ Ophelia ~ Rosalind ~ Eleanor ~ Silver ~ Psyche ~ Belladona ~ Calista ~ Raven ~ Winter ~ Imogen ~ Glass ~ Nevermore ~ Remember
    Alaric ~ Amadeus ~ Grey ~ Wolf ~ Damien ~ Dorian ~ Perseus ~ Salem ~ Viktor ~ Edgar ~ Thorn ~ Gideon ~ Lucian ~ Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    It's pronounced Khal-EE-see, I don't know where you've heard that "kha-ley-see" should be the correct pronunciation, but it's not. There's no "ley" sound in the word.

I personally think it would be bizarre to name a child Khal or Khaleesi, but that might just be me who's an absolute A Song of Ice and Fire nerd. To me it would be just as obnoxious as naming your child King, Queen, Emperor, Empress, Tsar or Tsaritsa. It's a title, not a name. If you like the character, I'd suggest you to use Daenerys or Dany instead.

Can't say I'm fond of Petronilla either.
    All of this. I'm an avid ASOIAF nerd and I hate seeing babies named Khaleesi. It's just like naming your kid King or Queen. At least use Daenerys instead if you love the character.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose View Post
    David J. Peterson said that the pronunciation is Kha-lay-see
    And he is...?
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

He is game of thrones language maker (I really don't know what that means lol)
    Vasiliki ,
    Maeve ~ Persephone ~ Ophelia ~ Rosalind ~ Eleanor ~ Silver ~ Psyche ~ Belladona ~ Calista ~ Raven ~ Winter ~ Imogen ~ Glass ~ Nevermore ~ Remember
    Alaric ~ Amadeus ~ Grey ~ Wolf ~ Damien ~ Dorian ~ Perseus ~ Salem ~ Viktor ~ Edgar ~ Thorn ~ Gideon ~ Lucian ~ Constantine

I think it's pretty, but I wouldn't use it. I do like the pronunciation David J. Peterson intended for it to have (although, of course, Martin probably had a pronunciation in his head before that); just read the interview, must be frustrating creating a language (almost) from scratch and having others butcher it. And while I don't care that it's a fictional title (really, ladies?) I find Daenerys so much prettier and special.

Also, according to wikipedia (which I usually don't rely to much on) it's rather close to a vulgar Hindi word.
    Last edited by ottilie; May 14th, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]