Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Evanthe?

Evanthe?

First, I was wondering how useable this name really is, is it too out there, and does it fit in with the name Gideon? I'm also looking for a middle name for Evanthe, preferably a name that begins with the letter R.

Evanthe is an elegant, inspiring name. But it's mythological, whereas Gideon is very recognizably Biblical.
    I see Gideon with names like

Tabitha
    Dinah
    Sapphira
    Naomi
    Abigail

I like Evanthe and Gideon. I don't see a problem mixing Biblical with other types of names. If I have my druthers, we'll have a Josiah and a Matilda one day.

Would you pronounce it ev-ANN-thee, or ev-AHN-thuh? Or some other way? I *think* the second pronunciation is more correct, but the former is probably more intuitive, at least in the US, and therefore more wearable.

I like it. It's pretty, feminine, and striking.
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Boy Combos: Jack Gabriel Walker & Jonah Michael Whittaker
    David . Alexander (Andy) . Xavier . Abel . Edgar . Apollo . Thomas . Harry . Walter . Frederick

Girl Combos: Clementine ??? . Margot Jillian . Diana Elizabeth
    Gemma . Beatrice . Vesper . Stella . Claire . Rose . Sibyl . Rosemary . Winter . Georgia . Grace . Judith . Corinne

Quote Originally Posted by missusaytch View Post
    I like Evanthe and Gideon. I don't see a problem mixing Biblical with other types of names. If I have my druthers, we'll have a Josiah and a Matilda one day.

Would you pronounce it ev-ANN-thee, or ev-AHN-thuh? Or some other way? I *think* the second pronunciation is more correct, but the former is probably more intuitive, at least in the US, and therefore more wearable.

I like it. It's pretty, feminine, and striking.
    I would probably pronounce it ev-ann-thee, but I had honestly never really considered the other pronunciation so I may have to give it some thought.

True MissU. There's nothing wrong with mixing names of different backgrounds. It's just that Gideon feels VERY Biblical to me, so Evanthe wouldn't be my first instinct. Josiah is also very Biblical.. but Matilda feels quite Victorian and there were lots of Biblical names in use then too. There's a common history.

Anyway, Evanthe is great. I'm just nitpicking.
    I say "Ev-AN-thee"