Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I would happily take everything that you listed!

Honestly, I have one child & will probably have one more. While a third or even a fourth would be financially possible through childhood I fear that I couldn't afford to educate them. I worked my way through college in my mid 20's because I had no help from my parents, yet was not able to get financial aid because their incomes were considered...I don't want my children to have to worry about that! I suppose that college would have to be more affordable.

I think that Americans also have a great need for personal space. I think a lot of Americans feel like each person in a household needs their own bed room & their own private bathroom. I think a lot of people feel they don't have the room for 3rd or 4th children because they want to have an office and give each kid their own bedroom. So a family in the 1800's would find 4 kids to be no big deal with less sq footage than a family with 2 kids today...

I am only planning on having two or three. I want to be able to give my children the best education I can and I would like to travel with them and give them opportunities I didn't have...it really all boils down to finances.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    In the U.K. you get 52 weeks of maternity leave if you want to. However, you only get paid for 39 weeks (6 weeks is 90% of normal pay, and the next 31 is a little less for most). Paternity leave is 2 weeks with 90% pay as well.

I think education is a big thing in a lot of countries. Sending your children to good schools is expensive. Sometimes when I think of how much we'll spend on schools if we have five children, it makes me want to send them to a state school instead. Better maternity leave as well (better pay here, and apparently many many many more weeks with better pay over the pond!). Tummy tucks and boob-lifts would not make me have more children Of course, it would be nice to have a guarantee that your body would like perfect after giving birth to five kids... but that's life! I want a whole little bunch of children, and unless we go broke I can't imagine anything but my body stopping me. Overall, I think it's fine here in England. But when I talk to my sister and my friend with children in Norway and Sweden, I do get jealous. Free education (apart from nursery) and the maternity leave is quite excellent: In Norway you get 57 weeks with 80% pay, or 47 weeks with 100% pay. 12 of these weeks belong to the father (if he doesn't take them, they lose those 12 weeks). I think it's quite similar in Sweden, but I'm not sure the father is required to take an amount of it (I believe they get somewhere around 420 days maternity leave).
    Man, I need to move back to Europe. My cousin is also taking a year off for maternity leave. (I wouldn't mind being able to share it 50-50 with a partner provided it could be consecutive). I agree with the education aspect and what people think they can afford. With the importance of College education for almost all jobs and the increasing cost of higher education in American money is going to be a driving factor.

Though from an employers POV having a year off per child (and having to pay them) feels quite extravagant. Imagine a mother who has a baby every year and has 4 kids. You'd effectively be paying her for four years of work without getting anything in return. (And you have to keep her job open for when she wants to return - so you wouldn't be able to hire someone FT and permanently for that position for four years. eek.)
    Last edited by lexiem; May 19th, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...

I think it;s the government who pays for maternity/paternity leave, not the individual businesses. Can someone clarify?
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    Though from an employers POV having a year off per child (and having to pay them) feels quite extravagant. Imagine a mother who has a baby every year and has 4 kids. You'd effectively be paying her for four years of work without getting anything in return. (And you have to keep her job open for when she wants to return - so you wouldn't be able to hire someone FT and permanently for that position for four years. eek.)
    I think you need to be actively working for a year to get maternity leave. So you can't get four years in a row. And the money doesn't come from the work place, it comes from the government (at least a huge part of it).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]