Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Well, I'm having my first child young-ish (at least for my area/social circle it's very young), and while I'm not settled into a career or anything - I am managing to afford it, but we will be on a community healthcare plan and financial aid for school/scholarship money will be helping to support us (although it supported me before I had a child).

I don't think I'll plan on having another biological child unless I'm settled into a career - with options for maternity leave, which will hopefully get better in the future - and private health insurance, depending on what the insurance business/laws are in this country at that time (it wouldn't be before 5-10 years from now). I don't know that the government could "bribe" me into having more children, although if they offered compensation to SAHMs (and dads), it'd be a lot more feasible.

Really it's going to be a more personal decision...I have a couple of health issues (bipolar disorder and seizures) and while my pregnancy has been somewhat smooth (save for extremely low blood pressure/fainting), I know childbirth can have disastrous effects on someone with my medical problems. If I really struggle with this after giving birth for the first time, I will not have another biological child - unless in the next few years incredible progress is made in treating these problems. Adoption or even just fostering is a lot more likely right now, so I guess you could say advances in the medical field would make me more inclined to have more children.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

Interesting topic. I really think it depends on both the culture and the individual what will encourage people to have more children. The province of Quebec, Canada, had a very low birth rate a while back, and it seems they have been fairly successful in using bonuses, subsidized daycare, etc., to raise the birthrate a bit. I did my M.A. research on childcare policy in Germany, where maternity leave is generous and there are significant (at least to us here in North America) baby bonuses, and as far as I know, this hasn't done much to raise the birth rate, but there are other factors in play; for example, the education system often leaves people not finishing university until their mid- to late-20s, so that pushes back the rate at which people start families. Also, many schools are half-day and child care options can be limited, so it's difficult to have two-earner families. I don't think there is "one way" for governments to encourage people to have larger families, though adequate maternity leave and health coverage is a start.

Personally, the government doesn't need to do anything to encourage me to have kids, though if they could kick my husband into gear that would be great! :-)
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Rely on immigration. Work on providing better education for the children we do have, so they can make meaningful contributions to society. Safe and compassionate birth options for all. Personally, I'd be outraged if the government decided to offer free tummy-tucks after birth as an incentive. We have enough institutionalized hatred of women's/mothers' bodies. Also, tummy-tucks and liposuction are surgeries that come with some risks, so I don't think they should be handed out like candy. I hope to have one child, return to school for some years, and either birth or adopt a second when I've graduated, in my mid-late 30's. If my husband and I feel the need after that, we may have a third. Being able to rely on good public education might make that seem more doable.

Better PAID maternity leave. 12 weeks is almost criminal. I would have to rely on my future husbands ability to make more money to offset the fact that I'm not working. The idea of being alone alot with a newborn because the hubs has to work all this overtime so we can live is not fun.

Reliable, equitable, high quality public education. There is no excuse for the travesty that is American public schools. If I have to send any future niños to private school obviously my desired three is going to be more difficult.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

I have two children currently and am almost 35. I sway back and forth about wanting another. My husband says that he's done at two, but I know that I could convince him.

Money is certainly a consideration, as is sleep

However, I am very close to my sister and always wished that I had more siblings. I would like to give my children that experience. In addition, I notice that many people who are my parents' age say that they wished they had had more kids.