Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Australia has no baby bonus now after march so I wonder if births will drop? My S+E teacher (whos a politic freak) says that many young kids have a baby for the money and then blow it so its good but I'm not sure.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Tallulah★Ruby☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

I live in Sweden, but am planning to return to the US in the next 5 years or so. The following reasons are holding us back from having more children:
    - terrible paid maternity leave in the US
    - the cost of higher education in the US (if you want to be scared out of having more kids, do the math on how much you have to save each month per kid to cover the estimated annual cost of college/ university)
    - the cultural pressure to put in more hours at work. (I heard an interview with Michael Pollen- yes he talks mostly about food, but this figure was given in relation to the amount of time available to spend in the kitchen preparing meals- where he said that since the 1970's (I think) the average American family has added an entire month of work to the combined schedule of the parents.)
    - availability of early childhood public education

I think if the cost of education weren't so high in the US I might be able to to convince my husband to try for one more, but we would probably stay in Sweden until the youngest had finished preschool for the maternity leave and the excellent preschools.
    Mama to twin boys Oliver Graham and Luke Axel

I agree with what emmabobemma had to say.

Personally, I want to have a lot of kids whether or not the governement bribed me too. I might be a little suspecious if the government tried to bribe me to have lots of kids. I'd think like USSR that encouraged it's citizens to have more kids than they could afford. Many children who had both parets (and multiple siblings) living were given up to orphanages/ up for adoption because their parents can only feed/clothe/house so many kids.

I think relying on immigration (and encouraging it instead of discouraging it) is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by allythys View Post
    I agree with what emmabobemma had to say.

Personally, I want to have a lot of kids whether or not the governement bribed me too. I might be a little suspecious if the government tried to bribe me to have lots of kids. I'd think like USSR that encouraged it's citizens to have more kids than they could afford. Many children who had both parets (and multiple siblings) living were given up to orphanages/ up for adoption because their parents can only feed/clothe/house so many kids.

I think relying on immigration (and encouraging it instead of discouraging it) is the way to go.
    Not to be nitpicky, but it was actually Romania that encouraged its citizens to have more children than they could afford, through banning abortion and any kind of birth control and even forcing factory workers into mandatory health exams to determine if they were pregnant. This led to the orphan crisis of the 1980s. In the USSR, though contraception was difficult to come by, abortion was widespread, and birth rates were fairly low in the 1970s and 1980s; in fact, the USSR was the first country to legalize abortion.

It's difficult to draw the line between what is bribing people to have children, and what is encouraging them to meet their economic potential. In my opinion, paid maternity leave and adequate subsidized childcare programs can benefit a country's economy by encouraging women (and men) with children to continue to work if they choose to.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Only pregnant with #1 now, but a few things...
    --Cost is obviously a big factor, we live in an area where the cost of living is high. Considering things like education, general living expense, and buying a larger home down the road all have to factor in.
    --Different work circumstances--as I'm self-employed, my maternity leave consists of hoping my clients want to keep working with my schedule and building a work schedule around baby...DH gets one week.
    --If we lived in a different place and time and needed those extra hands to work the farm (we razz my FIL all the time because he did grow up in this circumstance, when we found out we were having a girl, I think it took him a little while to stop worrying about who would work the fields we don't have)
    --If I could magically have the gestation period of a chipmunk