Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Birth rates are dropping everywhere, even the poorest countries (though they continue to be safely above replacement levels).

What would make me want more children? If I didn't want to raise them to take part in a high-tech, specialized, knowledge-driven, globalized world. If I didn't care about spending a great deal of money and other resources on equipping them for adulthood-- a dramatically different prospect than it was even 30 years ago, where one could make a reasonable, secure living using his hands alone. If I didn't feel the need to ensure they can keep up with the lightening-fast changing pace of technology, so as not to become redundant or obsolete. If I didn't care about the dramatically disproportionate impact my urban American children will have in terms of consuming far more than their equitable share of resources, energy and goods.

If I wanted to raise a passel of homesteaders "off the grid," then maybe. But I definitely don't, won't and can't.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

In the U.K. you get 52 weeks of maternity leave if you want to. However, you only get paid for 39 weeks (6 weeks is 90% of normal pay, and the next 31 is a little less for most). Paternity leave is 2 weeks with 90% pay as well.

I think education is a big thing in a lot of countries. Sending your children to good schools is expensive. Sometimes when I think of how much we'll spend on schools if we have five children, it makes me want to send them to a state school instead. Better maternity leave as well (better pay here, and apparently many many many more weeks with better pay over the pond!). Tummy tucks and boob-lifts would not make me have more children Of course, it would be nice to have a guarantee that your body would like perfect after giving birth to five kids... but that's life! I want a whole little bunch of children, and unless we go broke I can't imagine anything but my body stopping me. Overall, I think it's fine here in England. But when I talk to my sister and my friend with children in Norway and Sweden, I do get jealous. Free education (apart from nursery) and the maternity leave is quite excellent: In Norway you get 57 weeks with 80% pay, or 47 weeks with 100% pay. 12 of these weeks belong to the father (if he doesn't take them, they lose those 12 weeks). I think it's quite similar in Sweden, but I'm not sure the father is required to take an amount of it (I believe they get somewhere around 420 days maternity leave).
    Last edited by ottilie; May 14th, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

We have one small son, and will probably stop at two. But all of our children are coming through adoption, so we are not helping out w. that replacement rate business. I would happily adopt more than two. But it's such an arduous process that even thinking about starting it again makes me tired. I have never been pregnant, so maybe if I had been I would think of that as similarly exhausting. I don't know. I do know that I love babies and kids and I'd be happy for a new baby to just show up every couple of years.

I did put my career on hold to stay home w. our baby. There were lots of reasons for this, but mostly it came down to my husband and I both really wanting for me to stay home. I do wish that we had a more sensible maternity leave and daycare situation in this country, b.c honestly, six weeks is not enough for most new moms and daycare would have taken most of my paycheck. But that's not why I made this decision. Though those realities have helped me justify my decision to people who are concerned about how I am betraying feminism or something.

Honestly, people are not very rational decision makers, especially when it comes to having/not having children.

For us, it has more to do with our personalities than anything else. Together (and individually), we are more than capable of raising the two children we have now. My husband hasn't decided whether or not he has the patience for three (or more). If he ultimately decides he cannot handle three, we will stop at the two we have now.

If we decide to have more, I will become a SAHM because we won't be able to afford daycare for three children. So, I think financial support and/or more affordable childcare would be beneficial to us, but I'm not keen on the government paying people to have babies.

Longer maternity leaves in the US would be beneficial to society as a whole.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    Birth rates are dropping in western countries (America, Australia, etc), but rising in under-developed countries. I know the government wants us to have "one for mum, one for dad, and one for Australia". My husband and I are planning on having three children, but I understand why many people want to have only one or two (or none at all). In Australia, we get eighteen weeks paid parental leave, which is pretty good. Children are very expensive! I daresay it's a money issue for a lot of people. Private school fees, new car when you have more than two children (three car seats are difficult to fit into the average sedan), costs of after-school activities, etc. Maybe if some of those expenses were subsidised, people would be more inclined to have more children.
    Interesting. How does the government communicate the 'one for mum, one for dad, one for Australia' campaign? TV ads? School campaigns?
    Also I read Australia started offering baby bonuses and was somewhat successful in raising their birthrate, have you noticed this?
    Astrid Coraline (04/13)