Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    STOP. EVERYONE STOP. Pam and Linda should close this before it gets out of hand again. We've said all of this over and over and over. We don't need to do it again.

If you want to know about the British/French/Dutch/Portuguese occupation of India then watch the episode about in 'Simon Schama's: A History of Britain' or even read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_india.
    Last edited by renrose; May 16th, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Your the same as me! I always get names stuck in my head!

India is gorgeous, she sounds culturally rich and really intriguing. I love how India is obviously associated with the country thus conjuring up images of the Taj Mahal, vibrant colours and a colourful history. I've loved India ever since finding out that my old teacher's child is called India after the place she was born (she was born in Mumbai) and I also thought it was an endearing choice as her husband (the father) is Indian. I love this name, and even though people are getting up in arms about this name and the issue of colonialism of India and how this choice could be considered offensive to others I really don't think this is the case. My old teacher Mrs Sharma (whose white British) and her husband Mr Sharma (whose Indian) never faced any comments about their daughter's name expect aww that's a great choice. But hey what do I know?
    Last edited by tori101; May 16th, 2013 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    STOP. EVERYONE STOP. Pam and Linda should close this before it gets out of hand again. We've said all of this over and over and over. We don't need to do it again.

If you want to know about the British/French/Dutch/Portuguese occupation of India then watch the episode about in 'Simon Schama's: A History of Britain' or even read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_india.
    Seconded. Please let's not do this again.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Seconded. Please let's not do this again.
    Um? The OP asked for opinions on the name, and obviously the problematic, controversial aspects attached to this specific name should thus be discussed and spelled out. Everyone is being civil.

Is India used as a given name in the country India? If not, it shouldn't be used here (same as Italy, Ireland, Scotland, Britain, etc.).
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly