Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I know it's lovely sounding and all, but I'm not a fan of naming your kid after a country, continent, or city. It's just too much for a person I think. After all, how can 1 person represent a WHOLE country. Maybe as a middle, but I wouldn't use it as a first name...

Also it's kind of a very American thing to do, which to me isn't a very good thing... After all, you don't see Indian/Chinese/French/Britich/etc children named America/Italy/Japan/etc..
    Last edited by catloverd; May 13th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.

Wow! I am glad I clicked on this thread & the subsequent thread links added!

I am Australian & had no idea of the controversy surrounding the name India. I was flirting with the idea of using the name for my last pregnancy (although my hubby vetoed it) I absolutely adored the idea of the nickname 'Indi'.

It may be absolutely ignorant of me to not to have known about the negative connotation for which I apologise BUT now knowing & reading some of the intense feelings and opinions tied to it is good.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

It has a beautiful sound but too much controversy to saddle a little girl with. Maybe Indiana or Indigo instead?

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names

Never, ever on a white girl. I agree with the points made on the threads posted above.
    Simon, Eloise, Faye, Judah, Thea, Marina, Felix, Iris, Cordelia, Roscoe, Lydia, Jasper, Phaedra, Adrian, Lucinda, Jane, Wallace, Finnegan, Sylvie, Charlie, Juniper, Atlas, Matilda, Julian, Alice, Marlowe, Octavia, Jack, Marigold, Ruby Louise, Archer, Violet, Gabriel, Persephone, Dov, Louisa

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

India is my favorite name for a girl! I also love the nn Indie. I think of it as glamourous and spunky, with a boho chic vibe. I'm glad it has fallen out of the Top 1000, as I hope to use it in the near future. Asking about India on this forum can elicit some really strong opinions, so be prepared. All in all, I LOVE it!