Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I know it's lovely sounding and all, but I'm not a fan of naming your kid after a country, continent, or city. It's just too much for a person I think. After all, how can 1 person represent a WHOLE country. Maybe as a middle, but I wouldn't use it as a first name...

Also it's kind of a very American thing to do, which to me isn't a very good thing... After all, you don't see Indian/Chinese/French/Britich/etc children named America/Italy/Japan/etc..
    Last edited by catloverd; May 13th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Wow! I am glad I clicked on this thread & the subsequent thread links added!

I am Australian & had no idea of the controversy surrounding the name India. I was flirting with the idea of using the name for my last pregnancy (although my hubby vetoed it) I absolutely adored the idea of the nickname 'Indi'.

It may be absolutely ignorant of me to not to have known about the negative connotation for which I apologise BUT now knowing & reading some of the intense feelings and opinions tied to it is good.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

It has a beautiful sound but too much controversy to saddle a little girl with. Maybe Indiana or Indigo instead?

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names

Never, ever on a white girl. I agree with the points made on the threads posted above.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

India is my favorite name for a girl! I also love the nn Indie. I think of it as glamourous and spunky, with a boho chic vibe. I'm glad it has fallen out of the Top 1000, as I hope to use it in the near future. Asking about India on this forum can elicit some really strong opinions, so be prepared. All in all, I LOVE it!