Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Help! What do you think of Rye?

My husband and I have the name Rye at the top of our list. (For a boy)
    His name would be Rye Lee Peterson (Lee is a family middle name, so its a must) - I was thinking as a child we could call him Rye Lee and as he got older, he would have the option of staying with Rye Lee or going to Rye.
    Is it too weird??

Rye makes me think of the grain, like being named corn or wheat. Next I think of whiskey...

I think Rye Lee would make anyone hearing it assume his name was Riley which would lead to a lot of spelling corrections.

If Lee is a family name a different first name or an extra middle name might lessen the 'Riley' confusion or Ryan is a very nice alternative which could still give the nn Rye.
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

My first thought was whiskey, then bread, then the word "wry". I agree with Norbury that Rye Lee would be pretty confusing and look almost like a weird way to re-spell Riley. Would you consider Ryland or Ryder, with Rye/Ry as short form? Ryland Lee Peterson sounds pretty cool.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Rye makes me think of bread and whiskey.

If you like Rye Lee, why not Riley? I like the suggestion of Ryland Lee as well.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Bread, New York suburb...
    But the biggest con is that he'd be constantly correcting his full name. "No, Rye Lee not Riley..."

Ryder Lee w/ nn Rye could work a little better
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13