Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Please help us narrow it down and pick (up to) your 2 favorites.

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lochlan/Lachlan

27 47.37%
  • Sullivan

25 43.86%
  • Lincoln

14 24.56%
  • Harrison

19 33.33%
  • Gavin

14 24.56%
  • Edison

6 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thank you all so much for your input. A little bit of background on the names (as they apply to dh and I picking them).

Lachlan/Lochlan- The meaning of this name is perfect for us. My husband's side of the family has 'Viking blood' as his grandma is fond of saying. We'd like to pay homage to that part of our child's heritage without going 'over the top'. Both of his maternal grandparents are from "the land of the lochs" so it's just about as spot on of a name as we could pick. Top that off with the other side of his family having Irish roots and it becomes even more fitting. Our two main concerns with Lochlan/Lachlan are:

1. What is meant when it's said that Lochlan's getting popular? I've often seen that comment from 'name nerds' (no insult intended, I'm a proud card carrying name nerd myself). While I've seen increased attention on some baby naming sites, going soley by the SSA's name list Lachlan/Lochlan is, by far, the most unique choice. For instance on the SSA's 2012 list, Gavin is sitting at number 40, Lincoln comes in next at number 132, then Harrison at number 181, followed by Sullivan at number 490, and finally Edison comes in at number 753. However, neither spelling of Lachlan/Lochlan is currently or has been in the top 1000 names for as long as the SSA has been keeping tabs on names. All of that considered, I know that Nameberries are VERY GOOD at 'feeling out' future trends first. And the amount of very recent chatter I've seen has me concerned. But even if Lochlan/Lachlan shoots up in popularity 'overnight' won't it just start to catch some of the other names? I know, I know, I'm over thinking it. We just do NOT want a trendy name for this son if we can prevent it. I too feel like Lachlan/Lochlan is getting a lot of new attention lately, but is it likely to burst on to the scene out of no where in time to become 'trendy' with kids born to this generation?

Concern #2 with Lochlan/Lachlan is dh and I cannot agree on how to spell it. Dh wants Lochlan (he says it's more masculine and less confusing) and I want Lachlan (it just looks 'right' to me that way). Those two cocnerns aside, we do really like the sound and flow of the name. It is not a 'left-over' from his brothers' naming lists as we 'discovered' it after his brothers were born, and we simply adore the nickname Lock. Even with our concerns, this name is sitting at the top of our list right now.

As far as Sullivan, that name just resonates with me. I love the nickname Sully. I don't know why, maybe it's the big blue monster from Monster's Inc.? Maybe it's Dr. Quinn's husband? Maybe I just like the flow of it off of my tounge. Dh likes it enough to use it but doesn't love it the way he does some of our other choices. I also like the way it sounds when spoken out loud in the south (which is where we live). It just flows out and sounds very stately to me without sounding at all stuffy. Our issue with Sullivan? We have no personal connection to the name. If we go with it, we'd want to find a middle name that has some sort of family/heritage/personal meaning attached. And we don't have one of those yet (a meaningful middle name, actually any middle name yet).

Edison. This is a name dh is okay with and would go along with, but it's not a top favorite of his. Then again, we've already named four boys so he says he has already put his favorites to good use and Edison has started to grow on him a bit. I think the nickname Eddie would be adorable on a tiny boy and Edison would sound good on a baby/boy/dad or grandpa. It was my top pick until I realized that dh wasn't thrilled with it but only 'going along'. He does admit he likes Edison lots, it's the nicknames he is not at all fond of with this name. And, although I enjoy getting my way, I want our child's name to be something both of us are fond/proud of. And again, we'd want something meaningful for the middle name since Edison doesn't give us that personal connection factor to the name. You'd think all of that being true, I could set Edison aside, but for some reason, I just keep going back to it in my head.

Lincoln is a family name on dh's side of the family. Not as a last name but, it's been used by his dad's side of the family as a first name or middle name four times since President Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address. Both of us adore the nickname Linc and really like the sound of the full name. I'm just not 100% sure. I think maybe the thing that bugs me about this name is that it was on one of his brothers' naming lists and I don't want to feel like I'm giving one of my boys a 'left-over' name. Yes, I know that's silly. And, I do love the nickname, Linc. I also really like that a baby born near the 4th of July would have a name that I consider very patriotic. This name would be dh's top pick if he were picking all alone.

Gavin is another name both dh and I like. Our main 'pause' is that it is so high on the name lists. We have allowed ourselves to be 'lulled' before into thinking names we were giving wouldn't rise as quickly as they did and it's always bugged us a bit that they became so common just after or even as we used them. If Gavin weren't so 'popular' (relatively speaking) and had better nickname possibilities, it'd be easier to go with it. Then again, the sound of it leaves it lingering on our short list despite our reservations and the fact that we have no personal connections to the name.

Finally, Harrison. I think that one is set to keep climbing up the name lists. However, it's such a solid, handsome name in our books and has a solid patriotic connection (Wm. Henry Harrison) that we cannot seem to knock it off of the list entirely. Even though, we don't consider the name Harrison unique. And, if the nickname Harry were to stick, I'd be thinking of Potter, the English prince and/or the dirty dog an awful lot.

We really want it narrowed down to no more than three names going in to the hospital (and would prefer to have it down to two). Dh especially is keen on wittling down our list. When our last child was born, it took us (me mostly) three full days to pick the right name off of our short list of five. I cannot tell you how annoyed poor dh was with the never ending questions he fielded regarding our daughter's name (I was able to avoid most of the flack since he was the one making the inital calls to family/friends while I recovered and fed our then nameless baby).

So thank you, your input is VERY helpful!
    Last edited by jaycn; May 13th, 2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: I need spell check. ;)

I voted for Lachlan and Gavin, both are very handsome and strong sounding!

I voted for Harrison and Lachlan (I would choose Edison for third spot). I don't know what your four boys are named so I'm going by the names I like.

Lachlan is popular in some parts of the world (especially Australia) and it has a trendy "n" ending (but then so do all of your names). ITo be safe, I would check your state statistics even though it's not in the top 1,000 in the US. I love the special meaning of the name for you.

I voted for Harrison because I think it's the most versatile choice. Harrison goes well with other surnames like Spencer as well as more traditional options like Lawrence.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    I voted for Harrison and Lachlan (I would choose Edison for third spot). I don't know what your four boys are named so I'm going by the names I like.

Lachlan is popular in some parts of the world (especially Australia) and it has a trendy "n" ending (but then so do all of your names). ITo be safe, I would check your state statistics even though it's not in the top 1,000 in the US. I love the special meaning of the name for you.

I voted for Harrison because I think it's the most versatile choice. Harrison goes well with other surnames like Spencer as well as more traditional options like Lawrence.
    Our other kids are Jason Xavier, Griffin Alexander, Jackson Isaiah Phoenix, Landon Theodore Lennox and Carolina Justine. We already have a Jason and a Jackson so ending up with a Griffin and a Gavin or a Landon and a Lincoln or Lachlan pairing wouldn't bug us.

As you can see, we have not backed away from the uber popular such as Jason. Although, he was named for a dear friend who passed away so that name wasn't up for debate no matter how over used it was and thankfully, not many teens today have that name compared to the burst of them in dh's and my generation. We also ended up with the now very popular Jackson and Landon. However, when we gave each of them those names, we thought we were picking unique ones. We didn't expect them to rise as quickly as they did. We got lulled into using them by us not personally knowing any people with those names even though we saw them sitting just outside of the top 100 when we gave them. Thankfully, neither Griffin nor Carolina has yet cracked the top 200 (and I hope they don't).
    Last edited by jaycn; May 13th, 2013 at 03:01 PM.

I usually don't care for "surnames as first names" but I rather like Harrison.