Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I just checked Juliet and Ruby. Juliet dropped two places, Ruby rose two. Neither are in the Top 100. Phew.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

Having a name in the top 1000 doesn't have to be a huge deal. The name in the 500 spot for boys (Brenden only had 528 babies born whith that name. Percentage-wise, that's not very many kids. It's not like all the little Brenden's will have to go by their last innitial forever. It's actually kind of unlikely that they'll be in classes with other Brendens. My name was at the 22 spot the year I was born and has been popular since but I hardly ever meet another Alyssa, especially not spelled the same as me. Especially if the name is below 500 (or even below 100 or 200) there's no reason to mourn.

There were only 850 Eloises born last year. She might meet a few but she won't be Eloise L. for the rest of her life.

Personally, I think it's cool if you like a name that's outside of the top 1000 but I wouldn't rule out a name I truly loved because of popularity, especially if it had family significance. The only name I've loved for awhile that I'd really think twice about using based on popularity is Noah, at #4 with 17,201 being born last year. I love Zoe even though it's at #30 with 6383 born last year (not to mention the Zoeys and Zoies).

Quote Originally Posted by allythys View Post
    Having a name in the top 1000 doesn't have to be a huge deal. The name in the 500 spot for boys (Brenden only had 528 babies born whith that name. Percentage-wise, that's not very many kids. It's not like all the little Brenden's will have to go by their last innitial forever. It's actually kind of unlikely that they'll be in classes with other Brendens. My name was at the 22 spot the year I was born and has been popular since but I hardly ever meet another Alyssa, especially not spelled the same as me. Especially if the name is below 500 (or even below 100 or 200) there's no reason to mourn.

There were only 850 Eloises born last year. She might meet a few but she won't be Eloise L. for the rest of her life.

Personally, I think it's cool if you like a name that's outside of the top 1000 but I wouldn't rule out a name I truly loved because of popularity, especially if it had family significance. The only name I've loved for awhile that I'd really think twice about using based on popularity is Noah, at #4 with 17,201 being born last year. I love Zoe even though it's at #30 with 6383 born last year (not to mention the Zoeys and Zoies).
    My name is also Alyssa and I've met at least 20 other Alyssas. All spelled like that. Maybe it also has to do with where you live.

I always try to remember that most names aren't as popular as I think, especially those outside the top 100.
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

Aria jumped from 157 to 91 expected, but still kind of sad. Iris is slowly climbing up the charts as well
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

286 Otto's born; 282 Leona's born. The number of births tells a bit of a different story. I will likely never meet a Leona or Otto. It's interesting that #785 on the boys list has an almost equal # of births as #914 on the girls list.

I was actually kind of excited that Otto jumped close to 150 places from 933 to 785, Otto will more likely than not never be higher than the top 200, and it just entered the top thousand in 2011. I was worried Otto was a little out there and everyone would think I was crazy if I ever used it, but with such a huge leap after just entering the top thousand it must be starting to sound normal to more people.

I probably would have been mourning Leona if it rose too much, I could see it getting into the top 100 somewhere, but 12 places (#914 now) isn't bad at all.
    Last edited by lovewn; May 12th, 2013 at 03:46 AM.