Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Congratulations, Blade! I'm happy for you. I saw your post a day or two ago and wanted to write a thoughtful reply, but I've been busy over the weekend. Now I'm in complete awesome-name overload, because I read all six pages of this post in case some big development had taken place.

I admire your taste. A few of my own faves are on your list--Edmund, Elias, Gerard, Julian, Lucian, and Peregrine. I think you're right to scratch Peregrine, though, along with Malcolm and Cadfael, although I love Peregrine and am much intrigued by Cadfael. I hadn't thought of the possible racial connotations with Antoine and Malcolm; my thought would have been that the Celtic Malcolm would sound a bit funny with the French Antoine. I did not know that Lionel was predominantly African-American now. The Lionel I knew was a wonderful old Christian Norwegian-American homesteading fisherman.
    And I just love the ornate Byzantine middles. One of my own predominant combo styles is a more straightforward first with a more unusual, elaborate middle--especially Greek or Roman. You've had so many wonderful suggestions that I don't think I have anything awesome to add. I do think Blaise, Leander and Lionel sound especially handsome with Antoine; I would tend to favor the names that don't end in N as being less matchy, but it is more important that the name stand alone superbly than that it sound superb with sibling names. For middles, I love Ignatius, Athanasius and Auxentius most.

I'm off to see what's happened to the girl post...congrats again!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

Quote Originally Posted by emmabobemma View Post
    Edmund - Stately and teddybearish at once, but tainted by CS Lewis.
    "Tainted" by C.S. Lewis? Oh for shame.
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Tell me about it! I want to do everyone justice but wow, I have a newfound respect for you ottilie as you were always so great about replying.

Intuition/old wives tales say boy again. No morning sickness at all, favoring savory/salty things over sweets, heartbeat 120s. Very scientific.
    I barely had any morning sickness and craved salty things (olives mostly) and had a girl. Speaking of scientific... have you consulted the Chinese gender predictor?
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by auroradawn View Post
    "Tainted" by C.S. Lewis? Oh for shame.
    Tee hee. Sorry Aurora. I kind of blacked out on Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, etc. I was like eight years old. He was a little fink in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and that's what's stuck in my memory.

Blade, I would reply to your reply, but I don't want to force you to reply again! Good luck. I hope you and the fetus are taking nourishment in between nameberry upkeep sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Tell me about it! I want to do everyone justice but wow, I have a newfound respect for you ottilie as you were always so great about replying.

Intuition/old wives tales say boy again. No morning sickness at all, favoring savory/salty things over sweets, heartbeat 120s. Very scientific.
    Much easier if you read replies on your ipad and respond simultaneously on your lap top. ( I love technology).

Blade - about the Antoine, Lionel & Malcom thing. I remember reading your list and thinking about how it's too bad you don't live in New Orleans and the Bayou with all those lovely french names. I'm not sure your over thinking it (maybe I'm with you on the white guilt thing) but more that you are culturally sensitive to the impact it could have. I personally would probably avoid it but then I'm not a francophile and don't happen to love names that have crossed the pond in that manner. Best to ask a few people about what they'd think. We all know you like statistics, research and scientifically sound data. Why not mini sample this? (You could do part here and part with your friends at home - or cull answers from your patients before the anesthesia fully kicks in and wipes the quizzing from their minds. )
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)