Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Again, I love your list!

I especially love Laurence, Gerard, Victor, & Leander with Antoine. Also like Laurent in place of Laurence, as well as Clement.

Esmond is my favourite here. Ignatius is great too, it matches well with Raphael.
    19 year old name lover with impeccable taste (◡‿◡✿)

For a byzantine baby Blade...

Sly (nn for Sylvester or ?)

Congrats once again! I love nearly all of your first names! My favourites from the list are: Blaise, Cassian, Cyprian, Edmund, Gerard, Leander, Marius, and Victor. I love the middles Esmond and Sylvan.

Some saint names (not sure if they are all included in the Orthodox canon): Alberic, Alexis (I know this is used for girls, but I still think it hasn't gone "all girl", or I hope not), Cyrus, Gabriel

Some French names: Ghislain (also a saint, and a guilty pleasure since he's from my dad's home province), Leopolde, Ludovic, Odilon
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Veronica ~ Sarah ~ Esther
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Top combos: Miriam Estelle / Paul Augustin

(Still) trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Los Angeles
    So many wonderful comments, I can't thank you all enough.

I have a very slight dilemma regarding Lionel & Malcolm. I'm sure I'm overthinking it, but in the US nowadays Antoine is almost exclusively given in the African-American community. Lionel & Malcolm are too (the latter esp. as homage to Malcolm X). I wonder if people would think I'm trying to make some kind of weird point if I picked two "black" names for a non-black baby? Some kind of white guilt thing?

@ottilie: thank you so much. Cyprian & Leander are among my tippy-top faves and I'm glad you like the ornate Byzantine names.

@redwood: thank you for the great suggestions. I liked Arkadios and Casimir (and many others, who are out due to family/friends).

@dindlee-- Elias Rainier is beautiful. It seems like every third boy I know is named Elias (it's ultra-popular among Arab Christians) these days but I really like it.

@kitty-- boo on the girls. Laurent I think skews too feminine in the States, and I just don't like clunky midcentury Lawrence. I like Roland and have friends with a new baby Cyril, but I don't think the others will transport as well.

@mischa-- thanks for so many ideas! I love Aristide but it's too tied with the nefarious ex-Haitian president. Casimir is great, as is Balthasar (but the hubs would never go for either). I do love Raoul, Xavier, Leopold, and Aurelian. Thanks for the Arabic names too; some are used exclusively by Muslims, and we have an Ibrahim in the family, and Jibril might be too much next to Raphael?

@mariemama: if I were having a spring/Easter baby, I would absolutely consider Pascal. It's a lovely name.

@roseymaam: I love Lionel & Malcolm but I am a little worried about racial overtones. Also holding me back on Lionel is that I have a good friend called Lionel and I don't want people to think I named my son after him-- we're not *that* close. I loved both combinations, especially Lionel Ignatius-- it's so well-balanced.

@geeknamesyo: Every single combination you suggested was great! I love Cyprian Esmond, Julian Ignatius, and Lucian Rainier.

@javad: thank you for the name-by-name breakdown! The reason Ambrose is under such high consideration is that that baby's due date, 12/7, is the feast day of St Ambrose. I could never sell the husband on Emrys, alas, so I am living vicariously through you. I agree with your thoughts on what pairs best with Antoine. I do love Altair (it's one of my favorite Arabic names) and would definitely consider it for a middle. Husband has an ex named Emmanuelle so as gorgeous as it is, Emmanuel is off the table. I do like Armand but think it's a bit close to Antoine.

@tintri-- thanks, I love Edmund too!

@wolv: you are entirely correct about the multitude of young Basils, and the importance of the historical Basil. I just can't get over the herbal connotation.

@labmama-- I find out in another 6 weeks. I think Peregrine should probably be x'd. I love all three of your combinations, esp Victor Sylvan and Ambrose Ignatius. We have a Dimitri our life who is quite special to us, and probably won't use the name because of that. Dante I think has the same possible racial problems as above, plus I have a female friend called Dante (hippie parents).

@RGE thanks for such an exhaustive list! I love Alban but think it's too close to Antoine, and perhaps too English. Same with Anselm (minus being over-English). Clement is such a lovely name but I'm not sure it's quite as strong as I would want. I love the Germanic names but am not sure they would work for our family.

@triss-- I love Cyprian; it's probably my favorite. I would be ignoring one of my own rules though, in that the sounds between the first name and surname would blur, but I did that with Antoine and it's been OK.

@sarah-- thank you! I'm glad you liked so many.

@ottilie (again!)- I love Austell, and Selevan is so interesting. It sounds a bit like 'celibate' to me though.

@southern_maple: I liked your connecting Ignatius to Raphael like that. I hadn't thought of it and now can't get it out of my mind. The original Ignatius was a guy called Ignatius of Antioch (Ignatius Loyola was named after him) so the name has a long history for Arab Christians, even if it isn't commonly given. I like it, and it reminds me of Confederacy of Dunces.

@emma: thank you so much for the breakdown. I like Blaise a lot, and have to agree on Cadfael. He was a real person, just very minor, and it's mainly a literary name. Probably should X it. Sergius is probably too Greek for us, and Sergio is too bodice-ripper as you noted. I agree with your final list and liked Alphonse, but think it's too matchy-matchy with Antoine.

@corvus: I loved Evander Sylvan, Gerard/Julian Esmond, Lionel Rainier, and Victor Ignatius is great!

@caroline: I love Blaise, too, and agree that Edmund and Peregrine probably don't match well.

@emms (again!): Ambrose Bede, Ambrose Auxentius, Blaise Ignatius, Cassian Rainier/Theodosius/Laurence; Cyprian Laurence/Rainier/Esmond; Julian Blaise/Stavros; Laurence Athanasius/Nazaire; Lionel Ignatius/Rainier/Auxentius/Esmond [Cloud will not pass the husband, no matter how many times I cite the wikipedia article on St Cloud]; Malcolm Bede/Auxentius/Benoit [Columba & Malcolm were the same person]; Stavros Rainier/Xavier; Victor Ignatius/Esmond/Theodosius-- all lovely!

@lexiem: thanks for the breakdown, it's so helpful. Ambrose & Antoine are probably too close, but the baby's due date is Ambrose's feast day. I do like Victor more than Vincent, even though they're very similar. Some of those middles are quite ornate, you're right, so the first would be simple to compensate. I agree, I'll probably eliminate Sergius, Stavros, Malcolm and Peregrine right now.

@amy: thank you! I like Leander & Lionel when paired with Antoine, too, and Marius is so wonderful. I think Cadfael should be eliminated, too. I think Laurent looks more feminine in the US (just one letter off from Lauren, and very unfamiliar, whereas in anglophone contexts Laurence is exclusively male).

@crunchymama: I think we would use Philip rather than Philippe, and I like Sebastian (though it skews very Catholic here) and Pascal, if this were a springtime baby. I love Evander Ignatius, Edmund Ignatius, Gerard Auxentius, Lionel Ignatius & Marius Rainier, thank you!

@ruolan: I think Esmond would be middle slot only, due to its likelihood of being misheard. And I do love Theophane!

@joyfulmom: thank you! Ambrose is a great name. A handlebar mustache kind of name.

@goodhope: I really like Leander when paired with Antoine. I only have a slight hesitation with the repeated "an" sound.

@gwensmom: thank you. Malcolm Ignatius is a very, very handsome combination, and it's so well-balanced phonetically.

@lori: thank you. Each combination you suggested was lovely: those -an + -us combinations are great. I love Ignatius in the middle slot in particular.

@hanniekitt: thank you; I really like Laurence Rainier and Edmund Sylvan both! (though the latter is a 2-2 syllable count so probably won't work for us).

@bonnielyn: thank you. I do love Rainier for multiple reasons; I hope it will work.

@moonkai: All three combinations are great, thank you! I love Leander Athanasius & Theodosius, though worry they might be a bit long. Marius Rainier is great but might be too Scandi/German for us when put together; not sure.

@babyninja: thank you, all three sound great paired with Antoine.

@teagardens: I agree with you re: Ignatius pairing well with Raphael. I worry about Laurent and Clement being a little too soft or androgynous.

@triss: thanks much, Sylvester fits the bill but always strikes me as a bit sinister.

@maggie: thanks! I love Cyrus but it's very Persian to me, and Gabriel might be a bit much with Raphael, I fear. Your French names are lovely but I do fear they won't transport well.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Allaire * Emmanuelle * Honora * Hyacinthe * Lysandra * Marina * Rosamond * Serena * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lucian * Marius * Quentin * Rainier * Silvan

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ / Altair _ Faraj _ Tariq

London, England
    Whosa, that's a reply. It does take time doesn't it? I remember trying to getting back to everyone, all the copying and cutting and pasting... Good job. I am really liking Cyprian more and more for you the more I think about it, it's magnificent next to Antoine. Do you have a gut feeling about gender yet?
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014