Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ash/Phoenix: Yeah. Mmm. I like Phoenix. I've never seen the attraction of Ash - it's an odd combination of short and soft that I don't find appealing. It's okay, though like renrose mentioned the mind automatically jumps to Ashley.
    Seth: It brings to mind a slightly irritating younger brother...sort of needy and puppy-like.
    Lilith: I really like the name - the sound of it is so pretty - but unless the character is actually, like, evil, it could be misleading for some people.
    Indigo: Guilty pleasure name. I love Indigo, especially the nickname Indie.
    Obsidian: Sounds very...dark. Ominous. If the character is the villain or something, it might be a tad obvious. If they're not, it should be okay.

Quinn: I like it better as a boy's name, but I guess it could work pretty well for a girl. It could really fit any personality.
    Calla: Yes! I like this. Sort of delicate, but not too fragile.
    Kae: Mmm. Not a fan. I would have a hard time getting past my feelings about the name to really like the character.
    Gray: How dark and brooding, even in name form. I picture any one of the endless YA love interests - a bit whiny and far too over-dramatic.
    Sebastian (or Bastian): Bastian is a bit...weird. I prefer Seb as a nickname. Sebastian, I like a lot. My impression is of a kind of old Dumbledore-type guy, but of course that's because he was once a character in something I wrote.
    Dare: My immediate impression is of Rachel Elizabeth Dare from the Percy Jackson series. I don't like the name on a girl...or a boy, really. I just can't see it as a first name.

But the important thing to remember is that whatever impression the reader has about the names at first, they'll eventually come to associate the name with your character. Names are pretty important, but impressions are not. Unless the name is Hitler.
    Teen writer with a name obsession...
    Orson Augustus or Calvin Nathaniel
    Astrid Valentine or Edith Penelope
    Orson, Calvin, Astrid, Edith

Ash- I agree that I'd think it was short for something if it was on a girl, like Ashley or Aislinn, and the code name's cool cause it makes sense
    Seth- Here's the thing: if Seth and Ash are the main characters...you know the book Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr? Both of these are the names of the main characters
    Lilith- I really don't like this one but that's because whenever I see this name, I think of someone trying to be overly evil on purpose. Just a tad pretentious
    Indigo- I do like this one
    Obsidian- A little fussy. Maybe like @renrose said, use a name that has similar meaning, like Jett, Shale, Devlin- something like that

For the rest, I basically agree with renrose:

Quinn- good
    Calla- I actually really like this name in general
    Kae- for these names, it looks like you're going for short and sweet (other than Sebastian), which can be a black hole to get sucked into if you let it go too far, so it's better to even it out. Like renrose said, you might want to try something a little longer
    Gray- I like this better than Kae, but I'd probably change one or the other. I think I like the Grey spelling better, but it's a solid name either way.
    Sebastian- good
    Dare- Is this a nickname? I don't know your characters, but what I like to do with weird names like this is make a cool nickname story out of it, because everybody has a friend with a weird nickname
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Girls: Seraphine, Kristabel, Magdalena, Shiloh, Opal, Jobie, Calla, Seeley, Noelle, Mara, Lucille

Boys: Robin, Gabriel, Mackenzie, Nash, Phillip, Raphael, Edmund, Abraham, Lewis, Pierce, Link

Current Crushes: Mackie and Devlin

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I especially like Jett. I can't really say if Ash is short for anything because the character basically knows nothing about her past and doesn't remember anything up until the age she was kidnapped and trained to be an assassin. Thanks for all of your advice! By the way, Indigo is a witch, Seth is the son of Time, Obsidian is...I don't actually know what he is yet , and Lilith is daughter-of-the-bad-guy turned heroine. IN case you were wondering!!! (As you know, Ash is an assassin.)

All the others just have to save the world from burning up conpletely and killing everyone.

Not dark at all
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski

Quote Originally Posted by stardust17 View Post
    Not dark at all
    Lol, my book started as a comedy. Safe to say, it is a comedy no longer
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Yeah. I think it's physically (or in this case, would it be mentally?) impossible for me to write a book where no one dies. It's sad, but true!
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski