Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What impression do my character names make?

Here are my main character names for a book I am writing:

Ash/Phoenix-girl (same girl, real name & code name)
    Seth-boy
    Lilith-girl
    Indigo-girl
    Obsidian-boy

Here are the names of some characters in yet another book I am writing:

Quinn-girl
    Calla-girl
    Kae-girl
    Gray-boy
    Sebastian (or Bastian)-boy
    Dare-girl
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski

Hello? Anyone?
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”

― J. Michael Straczynski

What do you want us to say? They're names. They could be anyone. A name is just a word until you read about the character behind it.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Anything. Ideas that pop into your mind when you here the name. Everyone has these, I just want to know, without having background knowledge, do these names have any soecial meaning or connotations I should know about, before I use them in a book. I also want to know overall thoughts about the names, anything, whether you like them or dislike them, or maybe if you've seen a special spelling for the name and think I might want to use it instead. Anything! General thoughts.

― J. Michael Straczynski

Quote Originally Posted by stardust17 View Post
    Ideas that pop into your mind when you hear the name. Everyone has these.
    I really don't, lol. But ok. I'll give that a go. I'll just tell you what I think of the names and how they go as a set.

Ash/Phoenix- Well. I understand the code name. I might wonder if Ash was short for Ashley though.
    Seth- I like this one. There was a series I read by Catheine Fisher in which Seth was the main character.
    Lilith- This is ok. But next to Seth I prefer Liljana.
    Indigo- I wrote a book a few years ago where one of the main characters was a boy called Indigo.
    Obsidian- Not a fan. Jett perhaps? Still a black stone and stylistically it fits a bit better.

Quinn- Ok.
    Calla- Alright.
    Kae- I think I'd change this one as it rhymes with Gray. Something longer perhaps. Kerensa or something. It would give some balance to Sebastian's long name.
    Gray- Not bad.
    Sebastian (or Bastian)- Ok.
    Dare- Not my sort of thing. Maybe if it was a nickname for something. It just seems odd that the other girls have light sounding names and this one has a harsh sound to it.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.