Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    @lexie Thank you for your suggestions! I like Matilda, but prefer Mathilde. Rosalia is also pretty,but not as germanic/clunky as i’m looking for. Fredegund sounds pretty in German, and i love the Fre-beginning, but in Dutch the g is quite harsh and I’m not fond of that sound in a name (with Hadewych/Hadewig being the exception). Same goes for Radegund and Gertrude/Geertruida.

@yma Thanks for the compliment and the names:
    I like Bathilde, Edelinde, Elswitha (isn’t this a smush-name?), Farahilde, Godelinde (however, i would probably never use a name with God in it, since i’m not religious), Trudeliese is really cute

@ottilie, what a list! I like Claramond but like Rosamond the last part of the name is also the dutch word for mouth and feels a bit awkward. Elysande sounds pretty, can you tell me something about it’s origin? Estrid or Astrid is a name i quite like, but is a bit dated here.
    I love Heloise! And Rohesia is also pretty, even though it makes me think of Rhodesia Somerild/Somerilde i like, is this related to the scandinavian name Somarliðr? Thanks for the inspiration you gave me with this list!
    Last edited by phloxie; May 12th, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
    Aurore Ebba Rosalind, Aurelia Beatrice Rose, Hadewych Ebba Aurora, Cosima Rose Beatrice, Riva Ianthe Juniper, Melisande Juno Catharina, Lorelei Caja Vasilisa

Ramses, Midas, Erasmus/Rasmus, Rodolphe, Jasper, Rembrandt, Lloyd, Lucius, Otis, Emrys, Oberon

Due 2.15.2015

About Elysande: Alahsind is the original spelling; it consists of the two Germanic words Alah (hall, temple) and sinþ/sind (travel/journey/way/path). James II of Aragon's last wife was called Elisenda (which I am assuming is the Catalan version of the name as she was from Catalonia). Other variations include Alicsen, Elicsenda, Elisende, Elisèn, Elisind, Elysant, Helisende and Helisent.

Somerild/Somerilde/Somerilda: They come from the old Norse name Sumarhild (summer + battle). The word liðr in Somarliðr means "to pass". So not the same, but, of course, both have summer in them.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Hildegard, Hedwig and Magda come to mind.

Thank you Ottilie for the additional info!

Bigsweater: Thanks for your reply I do like Hedwig, but love Hadewych better, since it is a family name.

More input is still welcome!
    Aurore Ebba Rosalind, Aurelia Beatrice Rose, Hadewych Ebba Aurora, Cosima Rose Beatrice, Riva Ianthe Juniper, Melisande Juno Catharina, Lorelei Caja Vasilisa

Ramses, Midas, Erasmus/Rasmus, Rodolphe, Jasper, Rembrandt, Lloyd, Lucius, Otis, Emrys, Oberon

Due 2.15.2015

Quote Originally Posted by phloxie View Post
    @yma Thanks for the compliment and the names:
    I like Bathilde, Edelinde, Elswitha (isn’t this a smush-name?), Farahilde, Godelinde (however, i would probably never use a name with God in it, since i’m not religious), Trudeliese is really cute
    Aww, glad you think so!
    I believe Trudeliese was the only smush-name I suggested; to my (limited) knowledge, Elswitha/Elswyth/Alswitha/etc. comes from the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) name Ealhswith, a compound of O.E. ealh "temple" (also found in Elysand/Helisent, I see!) + swith "strong".
    I know what you mean about God- names (Godiva, Godfrey, Godric...), but have yet to write them off completely myself – in part because they're so ancient that the "God" syllable represents a lost pre-Christian (i.e. pagan) concept, which appeals to this subversive geek girl, anyway
    (Another thing! It is really too bad about the -mond names (sadly, eliminates Florimonde, Esclarmonde), but what about -mund?)