Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Picking a name because it sounds nice?

I think a lot of the Berries place too much importance on a name being full of meaning. I've seen so many comments around the board that picking a name just because you like the sound of it or the way it looks is somehow bad, and I personally don't understand why.

This may be because my own name had no personal meaning to my parents; they were told by their doctor that I would be a boy, and they let my older sister pick a boy name, any boy name. They literally didn't care what name she picked as long as it was a legitimate name. So she picked one and then, surprise, I came out a girl. So they gave me the girl version of that boy name. When my little sister came along, they had a name picked out for her, but when they saw her they decided another name just sounded better, and so she was named.

Is it really that bad for someone to think a name has a nice sound and name their kid based on that alone? I don't see the problem with it at all. We haven't suffered for lack of a naming process full of meaning and history. I wouldn't love my name more if my parents had chosen it based on the meaning or an ancestor or whatever.

But on these forums I keep seeing phrases like "that's as bad as naming a kid something because it *sounds* nice!" But for me, that's good enough reason to name a kid. I like the name Artemis because it sounds nice. I like the image it conjures up. I like the name Eliza because it sounds nice. I like the name Thomas because it sounds nice. If I have to name my future kids based on some meaningful theme I don't know what their names will be because there are no names that just mean oh-so-much to me for any reason other than that I just like the way they roll around in my mouth when I say them and I like the way they look written down and I like the image in my head of what my kids would look like and what their personalities might be and how those names flatter them.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.