Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    For all who are worried about the possible pernicious effects of Doppler waves-- there are none. You best not live on planet Earth if you want to keep your developing baby free from exposure to sound waves, as they are constantly emitted (by the earth itself, by broadcast communications, by everything within audible range that actually makes a sound). Sound waves of all frequencies penetrate tissue just fine (after all, your baby can hear in the womb) and there are no deleterious effects, nor do they 'move things' unless they are of earthquake magnitude. Supposing otherwise is the worst kind of ungrounded fearmongering.
    I'm not "fearmongering". I think it's sensible to avoid exposing your baby to radiation, sound waves, etc, as much as possible, even though it's impossible to eliminate them entirely. If you use Dopplers, your baby will probably be fine. It's a personal choice and I plan on avoiding Dopplers and limiting ultrasounds during my pregnancy. That's just what makes sense to me.
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Radiation, obviously. Dopplers and ultrasounds don't contain an iota of radiation and have zero downsides or deleterious effects on a developing baby, or mother.

You are of course free to make your own choices but I assume you want accurate information on which to base them.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Radiation, obviously. Dopplers and ultrasounds don't contain an iota of radiation and have zero downsides or deleterious effects on a developing baby, or mother.

You are of course free to make your own choices but I assume you want accurate information on which to base them.
    I never suggested Dopplers and ultrasounds contain radiation. I was simply stating that we're regularly exposed to low levels of radiation in our everyday lives.
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

It does seem that the fetal heart rate might be pretty elusive this early on... but I'm all in favor of getting whatever level of information you need to feel secure. Did your doctor have any thoughts about this idea?

The FDA does warn against using them "over the counter without prior consultation with a healthcare professional."
    http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/cons.../ucm095508.htm

Later in your pregnancy, perhaps a fetoscope with a long cord would be a good option. They're completely innocuous, though not as easy to hear with. I was told by midwives who shall remain nameless that dopplers emit stronger "potentially disturbing" sound waves than ultrasound scans. Is this true?

Thank you everyone! @blade: thank you for the information. I'm a science and research-based person myself so I really appreciate hearing about the actual data that's out there. It strikes me as kind of funny how utterly paranoid we've become... babies have been born healthy for millions of years, yet the further we go into the future and the further science gets, the more terror and fear we add into the process. Don't eat this! Don't TOUCH that! Don't breathe more than this many times a day! Eeeesh. We know stress is bad for baby so seems to me like scaring the hell out of mother's everywhere would be counter-intuitive.
    @flamingo: thank you, your thoughts really struck a chord with me. I'm sorry for your loss too. Basically what you said is what i've been trying to do: just let go and take a step back. Even if we were to find out if baby is not ok, there's absolutely nothing that can be done about this early on. And it's not my fault and would have nothing to do with anything I'm doing, it's just the way nature works some times. I think, at this point, we are leaning towards not renting one. Too much fear of not being able to find the heart beat ourselves and I'm thinking maintaining my sanity might be easier going the route you suggested for yourself. If I can manage it! Sometimes I'm good and I'm cruising along doing just fine - and then sometimes it will feel like I got a punch in the stomach and all the fears will come flying back. But usually I can talk it out, or cry it out, with my hubby and feel ok again. I guess for some of us that's just how pregnancy is going to be. Not fair but that's reality! :-/