Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I had one with DD and found her HB consistently from 9 weeks on. It really helped after my previous miscarriage. I got one again this time around (I am 12 weeks) and had the exact opposite experience. I couldn't find the bean at 10 weeks, and spent literally hours trying over a week, had sleepless nights, dreamed about telling my family and friends that my baby had died, etc. before I went back to the OB at 11 weeks. She couldn't find my bean on the doppler either but did a quick ultrasound (like less than 3 minutes) and had to shove that probe (the abdominal one) down as far/hard as she could to find him/her, although babe is there, heart is beating away at 160 beats, and already looks like a little tiny baby (I could see a profile and saw the face move . Babe is just as far to the back of my uterus as his little one inch self can be. I am also overweight, which generally does make finding the hb more difficult (just something to take into account).

So I used to recommend them because my first experience was wonderful. But the torture I experienced that week was totally unnecessary. I still have mine but I have not touched it since my appointment.

If you get one I recommend not using it till 12 weeks. According to http://www.fetaldopplerfacts.org/fac...oppler-use.php (I have no idea if this site is legit, but my doctor told me pretty much the same thing) at the 12 week mark baby's heartbeat can be heard 95% of the time and 100% ott at 14 weeks.
    Mama to little Ramona Mae 3/2011 and Sylvie Joy born 11/2013

oh and I did use babybeat both times and I had nothing but excellent things to say about the process, ease of rental, free returns, great cs etc.
    Mama to little Ramona Mae 3/2011 and Sylvie Joy born 11/2013

I refuse to buy one this time around. I had one when pregnant on Amelie and on TWO separate occasions (19 weeks and 32 weeks respectively) I was unable to find a heartbeat, almost gave myself a heart attack, and ended up racing to the hospital for a scan to make sure everything was okay. Everything was fine, obviously. It just wasn't worth the worry for me.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

I used one through 1st and 2nd trimester and part of 3rd (I just returned it a couple weeks ago). I rented mine from Stork Radio. I started using mine around 10 weeks. I wouldn't recommend it that early. I was able to find a HB just about every time I tried to find it, but sometimes it took me a LONG time. That early on, the uterus is still below the pubic bone for most women. I had to really jam the wand downward into my pelvic cavity to even hear anything. However, hearing the HB was a huge reassurance to me. I am definitely a glass half empty type of person, so knowing that I could listen to the HB on those early days when I didn't always "feel" like I was preggo was a big help to me. Those panicky moments when you can't find the HB can be terrifying, though.

It's easy to distinguish your HB from baby's. Baby's is much, much faster (around 130-150 bpm) and almost sounds like a locomotive.

You'll save yourself a lot of freak outs if you wait until about week 13 or 14. If you do rent one, just remember the baby and the uterus is probably a lot lower in your abdomen than you'd expect so when searching for the HB, keep the wand down near the pubic bone. You usually have to play around with the angle of the wand and really search for baby's HB.

Although I did have some stressful moments once in awhile, the benefits of the doppler definitely out weighed the negatives, and I'd do it again.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

Quote Originally Posted by pinkballerina View Post
    I refuse to buy one this time around. I had one when pregnant on Amelie and on TWO separate occasions (19 weeks and 32 weeks respectively) I was unable to find a heartbeat, almost gave myself a heart attack, and ended up racing to the hospital for a scan to make sure everything was okay. Everything was fine, obviously. It just wasn't worth the worry for me.
    Yes, I'm convinced this is what would happen to me. I'm a worrier and I was tempted to get one when I was pregnant, but I felt like it would just make it worse if I had to struggle and possibly fail to find the heartbeat.