Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Evelyn?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eve-lyn (and I'm from US)

6 8.96%
  • Ever-lyn (and I'm from US)

10 14.93%
  • Eve-lyn (and I'm from UK)

7 10.45%
  • Ever-lyn (and I'm from UK)

9 13.43%
  • Eve-lyn (and I'm from Aus/NZ)

0 0%
  • Ever-lyn (and I'm from Aus/NZ)

4 5.97%
  • Eve-lyn (and I'm from somewhere else)

3 4.48%
  • Ever-lyn (and I'm from somewhere else)

3 4.48%
  • I pronounce it differently (comment how)

25 37.31%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Yeah, I meant as in the word 'ever' - to me, ev-uh-lyn and ever-lyn would be said virtually identically. Guessing there's no way to change the poll words now people have voted on it though. Eva is 'ee-vuh' to me, while the word 'ever' would be 'ev-uh'. Phonetics sucks at times, eh?

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

I've been on forums long enough to know that usually when people are describing the "uh" sound as "er" they're usually from the UK.

And I'm assuming "eve-lyn" is how they say it in Downtown Abbey when discussing Evelyn Napier.

I like "ev-uh-lyn" for a girl and "eve-lyn" for a boy.
    The Future Littles:
    Delaney Lynne, Mallory June, Bridget Victoria, Rachel MarloweBrandon Erich, Daniel Kent, Nolan ____

Darn accents ruin everything. Americans say the "r" in "ever" very clearly and most other accents don't, so I think that's why it's confusing. But anyway, eh-va-lyn for me, so I guess it counts as ever-lyn, and US.
    I've heard of Eve-lyn but I've never heard it used.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    Darn accents ruin everything. Americans say the "r" in "ever" very clearly and most other accents don't, so I think that's why it's confusing. But anyway, eh-va-lyn for me, so I guess it counts as ever-lyn, and US.
    I've heard of Eve-lyn but I've never heard it used.
    I wouldn't say ruin , but yes, pretty much. Most American English speakers would pronounce the r in "ever" very clearly. I live in that "Boston" accent area where evidently Rs are optional. It drives me batty. Evelyn would be eh-vah-lyn, but very different than "ever" if that makes sense.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

I voted for eve-lyn (US) but now that I read the comments I should have voted for "ever-lyn" — I was thrown off by the R sound but it makes sense in the UK/Aus the R isn't pronounced!