Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Evelyn?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eve-lyn (and I'm from US)

6 8.96%
  • Ever-lyn (and I'm from US)

10 14.93%
  • Eve-lyn (and I'm from UK)

7 10.45%
  • Ever-lyn (and I'm from UK)

9 13.43%
  • Eve-lyn (and I'm from Aus/NZ)

0 0%
  • Ever-lyn (and I'm from Aus/NZ)

4 5.97%
  • Eve-lyn (and I'm from somewhere else)

3 4.48%
  • Ever-lyn (and I'm from somewhere else)

3 4.48%
  • I pronounce it differently (comment how)

25 37.31%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do you pronouce Evelyn?

Just curious whether the two syllable Eve-lyn or the three syllable Ever-lyn is more common or preferred. Doubt I'd ever use it - I prefer the simple Eve and Eva - but I keep seeing it touted around a lot on here. I'm curious if it depends on where you're from as well.
    Last edited by essjay; May 10th, 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

the way I pronounce it is like ehv-uh-lyn no 'er' sound but still three syllables
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

I've never heard it pronounced Eve-lynn or Ever-lynn before. I've always heard it and said it Eh-vah-lyn. Three syllables, but no R sound. Since your poll included where you're from, I am from the US - New England.
    Ladies
    Avery Catherine Lucille ~ Caroline Frances Emilia ~ Clarity Jessamine Leigh ~ Josephine Louisa Danielle ~ Rosemary Margaret Luna ~ Tessa Hermione Jayne

&
    Gentlemen
    Desmond William Beau ~ Elijah Laurence Rhys ~ Ezra Benjamin Rene ~ Logan Christopher Knightley ~ Theodore David Henry ~ Whitney Samuel John

Wishing to be pregnant... but having to be responsible and wait for now :P

I have never heard it pronounced either eve-lyn or ever-lyn. I pronounce it ev-uh-lyn. And I'm from the US.
    Current Favorites:
    { Adelyn :: Elisabeth "Elise" Kate :: Cassandra "Cassie" Vivienne :: Charlotte "Charlie" Lorraine :: Adelina :: Josephine "Josie" }
    { Everett Cole :: Adam Carson :: Camden Bennett :: Alexander "Xander" Mason :: Aidan Blake :: William "Liam" Anthony }

Quote Originally Posted by alexa400 View Post
    the way I pronounce it is like ehv-uh-lyn no 'er' sound but still three syllables
    Quote Originally Posted by vicioustrollop9 View Post
    I've never heard it pronounced Eve-lynn or Ever-lynn before. I've always heard it and said it Eh-vah-lyn. Three syllables, but no R sound. Since your poll included where you're from, I am from the US - New England.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzard21 View Post
    I have never heard it pronounced either eve-lyn or ever-lyn. I pronounce it ev-uh-lyn. And I'm from the US.

I think this is what the OP is getting at. It seems you're all pronouncing Evelyn the same way: 'ev-uh-lyn', which I believe is the standard US pronunciation and, to me, sounds exactly like 'Ever-lyn'. Perhaps Ever-lyn wasn't the best way of describing the pronunciation, or perhaps Americans pronounce the word 'ever' totally differently (I think this is the word ever, as in 'forever and ever', rather than 'Eva').

Thus, OP, I think some of these 'I pronounce it differently' votes could be counted under Ever-lyn (as I think the ehv-uh-lyn pronunciation is what you're getting at there) unless, of course, they say outright that they pronounce it 'Steve'.

P.S. Beautiful name btw. I (and, I think, most other Brits) pronounce it as eve-lyn